What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to create brush painted circles

Daf57

Would appreciate some suggestions on creating the effect of a circle painted on a surface with a wide paint brush - brush strokes and all. The over all goal is to have what will look like a hand painted target (3 circles) on concrete. I have downloaded some dry brush type brushes but they are straight strokes and don't like to bend into a circle much. ;) I was thinking that following a path might be a good idea but wasn't able to get it done stroking the path with the brushes I have.

Any ideas would be great and much appreciated! :)

Thanks!
Daf

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Daf57 and welcome to PSG.

This is actually a very challenging effect that I have tried on many occasions to accomplish. Getting a realistic looking, "painted on" brush stroke on concrete, brick, or wood, is virtually impossible. Most commonly done with Ps is the graffiti spray painted on style like this:

Screen Shot 2014-09-14 at 3.21.43 PM.png

I'm still searching for a convincing way to add in the brush strokes.

Daf57

Uh oh! Well I guess I got my work cut out for me then! :eek: Thank you so much for the reply, I do appreciate it! :)

Daf57

Hi again! I was able, with the help of Photoshop's capable sister Illustrator, to create a workable effect. By creating the circle paths and then stroking with some free paint brushes I found on the colorburned site (sorry forum won't let me post a link). Below is a quick version - it will require some layering and tweaks in PS but should do the trick.Hope this helps someone that may have the same question. :) Thanks again!

target.jpg

Daf

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Fantastic!

I'm sorry, I totally misunderstood your request. I was thinking of something totally different! Glad it worked out for you!