What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manipulating genuine x rays

wrumble

Hi there, i recently had major surgery on my head where they put in three plates and a number of screws. During the surgery they said they lost 2 screws one of which they said they found in my head after looking at the xray. The other they werent sure about. Was wondering if anyone could help me find it using photoshop on the xray images to accent the metals put in my head. I know my friend can accent peoples veins etc from photos and bring up old graphiti from walls etc was wondering if anyone could do this with metal and xrays. Thanks in advance. Troll away if you need. Easy target.View attachment x-ray 1.bmpView attachment x-ray 2.bmpView attachment x-ray 3.bmpView attachment x-ray 4.bmp

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi wrumble, speaking as a medical professional, unless a responding member is an Orthopedic/Plastic Surgeon or a Radiologist, they are not qualified to make any determination of what is or isn't a screw that is NOT being used in conjunction with the internal fixation plates. They would not know what to enhance even if enhancement was possible using Photoshop.

If your fear or your concern is that a screw was left behind, you need to seek a second opinion from a qualified Surgeon who can take new (and better) x-rays as well as provide you with a educated and professional opinion/determination on the matter.

Any enhancement attempts here in this forum with these x-rays would be pure uneducated speculation.

wrumble

Hi, thanks for replying. I was more wondering if its possible to play with the levels etc to bring out the different densities in the x ray of the metals over the densities of the bone and so on so that the metals would stand out more and maybe a couple stray screws would turn up. Like I said I've seen people bring out multiple layers of old graphiti from a photo of new graphiti.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here is the normal image.
Screen Shot 2014-09-15 at 1.15.55 PM.png

Here is with a Levels adjustment.
Screen Shot 2014-09-15 at 1.16.06 PM.png

Here is with a Curves adjustment.
Screen Shot 2014-09-15 at 1.16.44 PM.png

How many screws can you see? Count?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This clearly shows that there are no stray screws that are not being used on the ORIF plates.
This is only a personal opinion.

Screen Shot 2014-09-15 at 1.29.08 PM.png

wrumble

Doesnt look like it! I wonder what my surgeon has seen then! Thank you for all your help.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I wonder what my surgeon has seen then! :rofl:

Good luck!

Paul

Former Member
Doesnt look like it! I wonder what my surgeon has seen then! Thank you for all your help.

Sams bottom reworking in the middle of the image at the bottom i can see a ghostly spectres face, a bit like E.T. actually:rofl:

Tom Mann

Guru
Almost all modern digital x-ray machines come with specialized software to do exactly what the OP is asking. Many of these algorithms are based on some variant of local histogram equalization, e.g.,

http://www.academia.edu/3050962/A_c...hniques_for_Dental_X-ray_Image_Interpretation

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=-y9hmJS6uxA8f-xqO4SR2w&bvm=bv.75097201,d.cWc

Unfortunately, there is nothing comparable built into PS, and, very few if any similar local algorithms available from 3rd party sources for PS. The only one that I know of is Belousov's:
http://www.unicontel.com/ (click on PS plugins and scroll down).

However, if you are serious about getting into this field, many of these algorithms are available in, or as m-files for Matlab's Image Processing Toolbox, and, as I recall, quite a few are available for NIH's ImageJ image processing program by Wayne Rasband. If you want to get into this field, I strongly suggest you look elsewhere, not at PS-related software.

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
PS - If you are interested and are reasonably experienced in numerical processing using the "C" programming language, several years ago, Belousov was nice enough to send me a copy of his source code. I'm pretty sure he has put that project on his back burner and is not pursuing it, so I don't think there would be any problem in me forwarding it to you, at least for research / educational, non-commercial purposes, assuming he was credited appropriately.

Tom M

wrumble

Thanks for links! I am no programmer so your offer of the original code would be wasted on me but thanks for the offer. I am just trying to locate these loose screws in my head, ha ha. Do you think there is some software available that I could just download that would be of better use then? Thanks again.