What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JPG saving issue HELP PLEASE

selsong

Hi I wonder if anyone could shed some light on the strange issue I have not experienced before? Ive used Photoshop for ages so Im not a beginner :) I use a MacBook Pro and PC. Recently I have been editing Jpg's on the Mac and am suddenly finding that if I copy them to and load them on the PC, most of the jpgs appear to have no .Jpg extension, and they appear as FILES, and cannot be opened in Photoshop on the PC. Has anyone had this happen and if so could you please tell me why this is suddenly happening. Its not happened till now. Many thanks

MrToM

Guru
What happens if you just add .jpg to the filename?

Could you specify what versions of your software you are using, including Mac OS, PC OS, PS and the method you are using for cross platform transfers.

With so many permutations its impossible to come to a solution without first knowing specific details.

Regards.
MrTom.

selsong

HI Mr Tom

if I add .jpg to the file it becomes a normal jpeg and I can then open it in Photoshop on the PC.

I'm using Photoshop CS 6 on Macbook Pro OS X version 10.0.4 band the same on

Pc Windows 7

does this help you at all?

Many thanks for your help

What happens if you just add .jpg to the filename?

Could you specify what versions of your software you are using, including Mac OS, PC OS, PS and the method you are using for cross platform transfers.

With so many permutations its impossible to come to a solution without first knowing specific details.

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not sure if this will help, but you never know.

I use a mac and in the past I have noticed that a mac is not as particular about how the file extension is typed.... .jpeg .jpeg .JPG .JPEG

But a PC is a bit more fussy. The file extension should be .jpg only!

I've also noticed that a PC is a bit more fussy about characters used in filenames. Make sure there are no spaces in the filenames.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Also, are you using 'save for web' on your mac?

selsong

Ive taken a look in the folder concerned, and I see now that the files that have given the problems are not saved with .jpg at the end of the filename, yet some of the others are. Although in finder if I look at the type of file it says they are all jpegs. ?? Also when I save on the Mac I have always selected the same JPEG option.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm fairly unfamiliar with with proper terms, but 'save as' may contain other information within the resource fork on the mac side that really should not matter to a PC.....but you never know.

'save for web' does not store the extra information and is a safer option for cross-platform-compatible .jpg files.

Just a thought.

selsong

HI. |thanks to you Ive had a proper look at whats going on and I believe I have found the problem. Ill confirm later when I get to go to my studio where the PC is....but heres what I believe i have been doing wrong:

most of the time I rename the file for one reason or another, and in doing so I have left out the extension .jpg......wrongly assuming that Mac/Photoshop would fill it in for me, BUT in fact it does not. PC/photoshop does, and that is where the issue has been. So when Ive taken it over to PC there is no .jpg on the end of the name and PC doesn't know what to do with it

So thank you very much for your help[

Cheers

MrToM

Guru
Excellent!

Sorry I was away for a while......breaking in a new pc build and couldn't really do much else.

Glad you got it sorted....and an interesting solution too!

Regards.
MrTom.