What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need urgent help with resizing image :(

strRC

Ok it may not sound as simple as the title describes, but ive been literally ****ing(sorry for bad word but this expresses my anxiety) with photoshop for few hours already and achieved no results, im really desperate guys...
The goal i am trying to achieve is to resize a simple photo so it can fit my facebook cover background, however the field of view i want to be exposed doesnt fit the frame and i have tried numerous ways to fix the problem, with no results :(((
such as:
Resizing just the width of the photo( the picture gets distorted obviously)
Cropping to the right aspect pixels ( the objects i want to be in the photo gets left out behind the frame)
The most important one: trying to extend the photos width background: the background is kinda complex,and extension with content aware tool doesnt work, as it ruins the background :(

Im not exactly good at photoshop but, i used to reach my desires following the tutorials on the net, but this time ive spent few hours looking for the solution and none of the tutorials could have solved my problem ,
THIS FORUM IS PROBABLY MY LAST HOPE :(
Heres is the photo so you can guys understand the problem
4cover.jpg

The photo is actually rich in pixels 3264 by 2448 so it has freedom to work with but facebook requires 851 by 315 and the closest i could get to was 815 by 615

So guys plzzzz the photoshop newbie achieve his dreams and give tips how to profesionally resize this photo =[

All help is highly aprecciated!!! :)

Attachments

• cover ft flipped.jpg
    cover ft flipped.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 7

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
That's a good one..... maybe resize the image in the canvass - view is a bit too panoramic.

Then again... the OP can handle that as he's got something to work with now..... .

strRC

wow collegue thats a really ambitious and almost succesfull attemp :) however the the other half as a photo looks like taken in Cairo or somewhere, while the actual photo was taken in Barcelona :D However to make it look like a cool blend of those too would might take some seriuos skills in photoshoping which obviously i dont posses, still do you have any suggestions how should i work with your provided image? or maybe you could make sime fine touches urself? i could also provide you with another shot looking the other side, so you could use the buildings and other objects to blend them together :)? IMG_0744_1.jpg

colleague

Guru
if the buildings have to be more "Barcelona" you probably have to go back , and take more pictures
because color and size are important and it's a lot to fill in
because it was freebee - time I made this for you ,so you have a picture to get Idea's from
but to do this better ,more realistic, it would take too much time you know :)

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
wow collegue thats a really ambitious and almost succesfull attemp :) however the the other half as a photo looks like taken in Cairo or somewhere, while the actual photo was taken in Barcelona :D However to make it look like a cool blend of those too would might take some seriuos skills in photoshoping which obviously i dont posses, still do you have any suggestions how should i work with your provided image? or maybe you could make sime fine touches urself? i could also provide you with another shot looking the other side, so you could use the buildings and other objects to blend them together :)? View attachment 49236

I think it will help if you take the photo exactly whare the photographer stood, at the same time of day and conditions when you took your photo. And the shoot should start where your original upload end at far right of image......

Best if you could take a "panoramic shot" sequence of pictures....

strRC

OK guys watch and learn! guess everything you want in this life you gotta do by yourself =[
But anyway, after 4hrs editing i finally made this myself, Does it looks like it was photoshoped? i mean in the bad way that sells me out? im pretty happy with the result :)
Done cover.jpg

Congrats strRC!
You've done a good job on this one.

1. What maybe sells you out is that your image is mirror-inverted.
2. Your Photoshop blending is a bit too fuzzy in places, but the average Facebook guy certainly wouldn't see this. Overall I very much like what you did, and that you finished this job yourself is admirable. Great effort!

Done coverCritique.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
strRC said:
OK guys watch and learn!

Well........I wouldn't go that far. Like Chris, I'm glad that you managed to accomplish this on your own, and some of your techniques need some practice. The main thing I see is that you may not be understanding perspective while you attempted to extend the building/wall.

BarcelonaNewbie_01.jpg

BarcelonaNewbie_02.jpg

strRC

Wow Sam... impressive work , now where the hell have you been when i really needed you =[
i could have even bought your photo and save hours of agony trying to make it myself =[
Anyway , Great job, and btw The shot was taken in Barcelona while i am actually from Lithuania, and there is no place in LT that looks like that thats for sure :D

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks. I didn't jump in because there were already some great responses and image manips in answer to your request.

My version was a little late to the party and was second to your idea of extending the BG to fit and reducing the main subject (you) in the foreground. I responded to demonstrate that while you did a very good job, you have room to improve with your skills, as we all do...........myself included.

As I stated, I was trying to show that perspective is vital to selling the extension as well as maintaining consistency with texture and shading.

note: I'm skipping what has been covered by Chris.

Below, I show two places where perspective would have added to the believability of the manip.
The large arrow shows where you had the right idea, but you needed to add a gradient to sell the perspective. (next smaller arrow)
The windows are fine, but need some work.

Screen Shot 2014-09-30 at 9.08.06 AM copy.png

Keep your lines straight. And be careful when embellishing (grate), stick with simple.

Screen Shot 2014-09-30 at 9.07.24 AM copy.png

Another thing for me, the cloud change is completely unbelievable and it betrays the lighting of the rest of the image, especially the dull mist/fog/smog.

Keep up the good work and practice!