What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make a Sharp Edge Burble ?

tai.nguyenthe22911

Dear all,

Thanks for helping me to explain everything about Photoshop in a very professional and friendly way, I really appreciate everyone here, especially Admin Members, therefore I hope you guys would help me to explain the way of making this "shout" burble or sharp edged circle such like in the pictures.

images (1).jpgimages.jpg

Thanks and take care,

Go to your Shape Tools and select the CUSTOM SHAPE TOOL.

Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 9.36.01 PM copy.png

At the top in the tools option bar, click the arrow of the CUSTOM SHAPE PICKER.

Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 9.36.15 PM copy.png

Choose the proper shape.......

Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 9.36.51 PM copy.png

Set your color.
Create the shape on your canvas.
Add a layer style with a BEVEL AND EMBOSS (and whatever else you want).

Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 10.12.08 PM.png

Go to your Shape Tools and select the CUSTOM SHAPE TOOL.

View attachment 49270

At the top in the tools option bar, click the arrow of the CUSTOM SHAPE PICKER.

View attachment 49271

Choose the proper shape.......

View attachment 49272

Set your color.
Create the shape on your canvas.
Add a layer style with a BEVEL AND EMBOSS (and whatever else you want).

View attachment 49273

Thanks for your really friendly advice, by the way, could you tell me the way of making the sharp edged circle from nothing ? because I have searched on Google and Youtube as well, but there is nothing that match what I need.

Thanks and take care,

Why not just use this?
That's the same as your example isn't it?

Screen-Shot-2014-09-29-at-9.36.51-PM-copy.png

If you need more 'points' then duplicate the shape on another layer and rotate it.

If that doesn't work for you then you could use a 'Star' shape, duplicate it a few times and rotate each one accordingly to give you a 'circle' of points.

The links Sam gave you have many variations of a 'pointed' circle as in your example.......how can none of them meet your requirements?

Regards.
MrTom.

tai.nguyenthe2291 said:
Thanks for your really friendly advice, by the way, could you tell me the way of making the sharp edged circle from nothing ? because I have searched on Google and Youtube as well, but there is nothing that match what I need.

Tom is right. It's a matter of finding the correct Ps custom shapes you would like to use.
Here is a link to yet another fantastic source of Custom shapes: http://www.deviantart.com/?q=Photoshop+Custom+shapes&offset=30

Here is a quick rundown of how its done.

Find a shape that you like and create it using the same technique I described in the previous tutorial.
Make it the color you desire.

Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 9.07.54 PM.png

Open a layer style and add a gradient overlay. Reverse the gradient and lower it's opacity.

Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 9.08.17 PM.png

Next, find the shape you would like to use for the inner effect.
On a new layer, create the shape inside the outer shape. It does not matter what color it is as we are only using it as a template.
name the layer inner template and turn the layer off.

Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 9.12.36 PM.png

Next create a new layer. Command/Control + mouse click the inner template layers thumbnail to create the following selection.

Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 9.15.36 PM.png

Choose your Gradient Tool, select the foreground to transparent preset from the gradient editor.
Set your foreground color to white.
Create a linear gradient going from top to bottom on the upper half of the selected area.
When your done hit Command/Control + D to deselect.

Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 9.18.05 PM.png

Still working on the same layer, use your Elliptical Marquee Tool to create an ellipse looking something like the following.....

Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 9.20.23 PM.png

Then hit Shift + Command/Control + I to invert the selection.
You should now have a set of marching ants on the edge of the canvas as well as the original selection.

Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 9.22.17 PM.png

Hit delete on your keyboard.
Hit Command/Control + D to deselect.

Lower the opacity to about 60%. Your done.
It should now look like this.......

Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 9.24.30 PM.png

Good luck!

Last edited:

Back