What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to have multiple views of a layer

gstrasd

I have some iPhone templates that I can use to clip the layer I'm working in so it shows through on the iPhone screen. I want to see what it looks like on different models, colors, portrait/landscape, etc. I've been copying and pasting the layer so I can view it under each template. Is it possible to make edits on just one layer or group and have it appear in another one automatically?

ZipedX

Power User
Hi gstrasd and welcome to the forum!

I'm trying to understand what your after here.

Are you:
A wondering if you can achive this on your phone using an app?
B wondering if you can mimic your iphone templates on a computer version of Photoshop?
C Or perhaps none of the above.

Regardless I feel we need some more info to be of better help.

gstrasd

Thanks for replying ZipedX, I'll try to explain better...

I am developing an app for the iPhone and I am currently working on the artwork in Photoshop. I downloaded a PSD from Pixeden which has images of different iPhones with the screen at the same resolution as the actual iPhone. Which means I can place my artwork on top of the iPhone, clip my layer by the iPhone's screen layer and it looks as if my artwork appears on the iPhone screen. The PSD has multiple images, some of which are different models, different colors and in both portrait and landscape view. So, I can see what my artwork would look like on the different screens.

The trouble I am having is that when I want to see what things looks like on a different iPhone, I have to drag my artwork layers (all in a single group) to a different layer level and move the artwork around on the screen to position it properly. It would be wonderful if there were a way for that to be done for me automatically. My thought of how that may work was if there was such a thing as a layer "alias" or "view" (my guess at the terminology) so that as I make edits on one layer, the same changes would appear on another layer. I'm guessing a feature like this doesn't exist, but I thought I'd ask. Is there any other way to make this easier?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome.

Edit: [highlight]Actually, I'm fairly certain this can be done either through layer comps or linked smart objects.[/highlight] I was wrong about these, but I'm still checking.

In the meantime, here is what I would do, simply copy and paste the new image into the different phone groups and clip them into the clipping group. This way you can have as many clipped images to different phone styles as you want, both portrait and landscape versions.

Here I have a portrait iPhone in a group.
I have 3 images clipped to the template. All I need to do is turn one on and the other off. Actually, if all three clipped layer were turned on, the upper most clipped image is what will appear in the template.

Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 8.10.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 8.12.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 8.13.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 8.13.46 PM.png

Here's a landscape which is kept in another group..........

Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 8.16.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 8.18.24 PM.png

Last edited: