What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best resolution to use for large dimension prints

mariusblk

Hello there Photoshop fans, i have a question since this is my first attempt to create a large banner for print. It's dimensions are 350 cm x 95 cm and will be viewed from a distance of about 150 - 200 cm. What resolution to start with since when i tried to create a new document using 350 cm x 95 cm and 150 ppi PS created a huge file that for me is hard to manage and most of the time my computer freezes.

Help a newbie here to start his work. What is the best resolution to have a nice printed banner? Thanks

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
You need to create this as a vector in Adobe Illustrator if possible. Vector format is resolution independent. If your planning on printing a banner(obviously a wide format printer) you would need to try and maintain 250-300 ppi, but the file size is beyond your computers memory capability. Go vector and all of that goes away.
Hello there Photoshop fans, i have a question since this is my first attempt to create a large banner for print. It's dimensions are 350 cm x 95 cm and will be viewed from a distance of about 150 - 200 cm. What resolution to start with since when i tried to create a new document using 350 cm x 95 cm and 150 ppi PS created a huge file that for me is hard to manage and most of the time my computer freezes.

Help a newbie here to start his work. What is the best resolution to have a nice printed banner? Thanks

mariusblk

What if i want to insert images, how can i make those vectors, i mean i only work in photoshop my ilistrator skils suck.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
One thing you need to understand is that Photoshop's main purpose is to edit images and not create huge banners and the like. It's unfortunate that your Ai skills are limited, because to do this type of work you need to know both. You can work with your images in PS and then place them in Ai and use the trace function to convert them to vector content. If you bring good, high resolution bitmap images into Ai, it does a nice job of conversion. Not that hard to do and there is all kind of instruction online. I'm sorry, but this is the best advice I can give you.

Tom Mann

Guru
If the viewing distance is always a couple of meters or more, you could probably go down to 75 ppi, and very, very few people would notice it.

Tom

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Larry-

Yup, even at 75 ppi, the file will be big, but since the OP sounded like he really had no interest in learning Illustrator, I wanted to at least give him a minimum number that he could shoot for if he sticks with Photoshop. Of course, all of the suggestions in the article you referenced about flattening the file, converting masks to vector, adjusting Photoshop's memory parameters, etc. are also very very useful.

Tom