What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How did they do this? (Shadow question)

avalovesart

I saw this well-designed ad on Wunderground today -

accuracy_tdu_best.jpg

How did they achieve the super long shadow effect with such straight lines? I can't seem to replicate in Photoshop's blending options. Surely it wasn't all manually created though, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

ZipedX

Power User
This isn't my forte but I'd guess this particular design would be easy to achive.
Separate color layer + layermask .

avalovesart

Mr.Tom, Just read your other post on the subject. Are you essentially saying to just replicate and slightly move the layer over a bunch of times until I close the space? It seems that method would be difficult/time consuming to achieve such a dramatic result as in the image above. If even just one layer were moved to the right or left a different amount than the others, the straight angled line would become distorted. Maybe I misunderstood something?

ZipedX

Power User
I totaly missed that thread last time Tom, great technique!
Thanks for pointing it out again.

MrToM

Guru
It takes seconds.

If you use the shortcuts outlined in that post you'll find it doesn't take very long to produce the effect.

You could of course just do half of it on a new layer and then duplicate that layer and move that as a whole...as often as required.

Its such a simple quick and easy thing to do that any other way wouldn't really be any more beneficial.

One thing to note though is that this method will result in an angle of exactly 45°, one pixel right, 1 pixel down each time. If you wanted a different angle you'd have to work out how many pixels right to shift the selection and how many down.

You can do that by rotating a rectangular selection of pixels to the desired angle and then observing how the straight edge is constructed.

I don't know of any other way to reproduce this but as I said, it takes seconds, which is good enough for most.

Regards.
MrTom.
@ ZipedX:

No worries.....I only just remembered about it and I posted in it! LOL.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It goes great. I used the same exact technique that myself and MrTom described in the linked thread.

I did get tired of making the extrusion.
When I got this far.......

Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 9.14.22 PM.png

I just copied the extrusion layer twice and moved them with the move tool.

The extrusion may be discolored, don't worry. As soon as you have everything aligned, select all the extrusion copies and merge them.
Then Command/Control + click the newly formed extrusion layers thumbnail to make a selection, then fill with the color of choice. This will even out the colors.

Very easy.

PSGisthebest_01.jpg

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
If we're to do it as in the OP's sample.....

Create a rectangular selection on a new layer below text layer, fill with desired color.

Rotate to angle desired.

Duplicate layer and drag into place most especially at text angles or curvature that would cast shadow.....

Repeat until basic shadow complete, MERGE duplicate layers and use paint brush to fill in gaps and eraser tool remove unwanted areas to retouch.

Shadow.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
dv8 said:
If we're to do it as in the OP's sample.....

Not sure what you mean by this. The extrusion technique reproduces the effect exactly. No matter, they both work.

Hoogle

Guru
lol i was reading through this thread and 1 of the first things I learnt in photoshop was the brush technique colleague said

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great idea Colleague! Did not think of that! So much easier as well.