What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about text

Zwei

I'm very new to photoshop and i've been doing some digging on a photo i want to change the text that is embedded in the photo, I saw a video of someone removing text using Content-Aware but it only makes mine look messed up.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Hi there.

It all depends on the photo you have. Content aware may not work in some cases.

You can use clone tool, copy paste method and a variety of other techniques. Upload a sample of your photo so we can assess what can be done.

Zwei

Yes of course! I don't know why i didn't think of uploading that beforeedum_crest_by_art_by_edum-d5eq944.jpg here you go.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
A good bet will be the clone tool.

Create a new layer and select clone tool making sure to click Use all layers option in the Menu. Using a soft brush size, sample the area next to the text and click the adjacent text area. Build up the edit as you go, do this in small increment to ensure uniformity....

In larger areas like the MENDOZA text, you can use a larger size brush to click/cover an entire letter for as long as it sits in a uniform color area. If not, build it as you go with a smaller sized brush.

You may need a bit of imagination when rebuilding areas with gradient color.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
One more important thing.... if its for personal use, don't post it indiscriminately in public as I see a watermark logo there - A copyright mark by the image creator. And the copyright still applies even if you edit it out.

Zwei

I'm intending to leave it and use for personal things, by no means am i taking credit for this.

Zwei

Also i'm trying to figure out how to use this Clone stamp tool it's quite confusing

Zwei

Thank you for that link, one of the videos cleared it right up. But now my problem is after all the text is gone, it sorta looks like someone smeared another shade over the area where color goes from darker to lighter is there a way i can create that fading affect to look more natural? Here is what it looks like at the moment.
crest inprogress 1.jpg

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Needs a bit of getting used to but when you come to grips with it, it's very invaluable tool.

As I feel your new with the clone tool use, take your time.

Pressing ALT will change the tool tip to cross hairs. Select the area you want to clone. You will be doing this throughout the edit work.

As I mentioned, do the cloning work in small increments to get a certain uniformity.

*** Pay attention to color shade changes, gradient or certain texture detail in the original image so you get to select and use them in cloning over the area. With a soft brush, lowered pressure / airbrush mode setting, select a lighter area to lighten darker areas or darker areas to darken lighter areas. (or an area whichever you feel works in what you're doing.

*** Use your imagination in re-building text-hidden and color gradient areas.

Don't worry if you over clone over areas not needed. As you're working on a fresh new layer, you can use the eraser on it being careful not to touch needed areas......

If uncertain with an area whether it blends nicely, create a new layer and work there if it blends well, merge it down to the first work layer.

*** Once you get this movement done pat like a reflex, you can go up a step further by lowering the pressure and using airbrush mode to add finish to the cloned area. (as indicated in image).... you can use the smudge or dodge/burn tools to even the look further.

You can also copy paste choice areas like the one next to the "e". I used the rectangle selection tool to duplicate that area large enough to cover the "e" and used further cloning on the edges or eraser tool to blend the area to the rest.

SLOWLY..... Don't rush...... ;).

Clone Tool.jpg

Zwei

Yeah it does take a little bit of concentration and time to figure out how you can get it to look better, so i updated it and took some from the opposite side to try to make it look better, i honestly think this is good enough if you think i can make it better please do tell :)
crest inprogress 1.jpg

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
...... if you think i can make it better please do tell :)
View attachment 49562

It's good to go....

I've given extra tips above... others here may have a tip or 2 for you.

But what you ask is something that sometimes can't be taught. But experience and a developed eye for detail built up over time - by you - from experimentation during constant use.

With you're edit, I see you're on the right track.

Zwei

It's good to go....

I've given extra tips above... others here may have a tip or 2 for you.

But what you ask is something that sometimes can't be taught. But built up over time - by you - from experimentation during constant use.

With you're edit, I see you're on the right track.

Thank you so much man, I honestly wouldn't have been anywhere near what it looks like right now if i didn't come here haha, I just wanted to really thank you :cheesygrin:

Zwei

Don't hesitate for more knowledge. Stick around......

I might just stick around some more tonight haha, I was doing some digging and tried some fonts out on photo shop but they all look like you spent 5 seconds on paint, is there a way to add natural looking font without actually drawing it?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I might just stick around some more tonight haha, I was doing some digging and tried some fonts out on photo shop but they all look like you spent 5 seconds on paint, is there a way to add natural looking font without actually drawing it?

No idea of how you created yours and how it turned out. Upload a screengrab....

If it's on the above image, here's something I cooked up. As you can see, I used pillow emboss effect layer on the texts and used Text Warp to position them on the banners.

This may not be what you're going for but there are other ways....

TextSample.jpg

Zwei

Ok so I fooled around with the warping and all that one main thing i need is font, do you know where I could get the font you're using or a font that looks similar, I want one that looks rustic/Medival heres an update Quickupdate.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Zwei, here is the result of the technique I described for you in our PM.......

Screen Shot 2014-10-11 at 7.51.58 PM.png