What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hellstorm77

Hello people! i was wondering if someone could help me with a problem im having with trying to put a texture over an image. The colour of the texture changes slightly to the background image which i dont want to happen

axxo

Hello people! i was wondering if someone could help me with a problem im having with trying to put a texture over an image. The colour of the texture changes slightly to the background image which i dont want to happen

de saturate the texture or hue to to a needed color. also play around with filters (overlay, screen etc.. ) and then change the hue on the texture

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
try the forum's built in image uploader in the toolbar of the reply box, it's a little tree in a frame, browse for the files you wish to upload and then press upload.
the images will be put straight from your computer onto your reply with no links.

Hellstorm77

Background image
Image 1.png

Texture
Image 2.png

This is what it turns out like
Image 3.png

This is when i desaturate the background image i don't want the camo texture to change colour
Image 4.png

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
very familiar textures here, arma 3 modding, or DayZ?

I'm an Arma 3 modder... just a little heads up for getting some common ground here. :)

duplicate the original olive backpack layer, and desaturate the duplicate (press ctrl+shift+U) then set the camouflage layer to "overlay" blend mode.

Voila!
keep the original base texture back, just in case you want to bring some of the olive layer back via a mask.

Last edited:

Hellstorm77

nice to meet another Arma 3 modder here

i did that but it turns out a bit grey not the same colour as the texture

Image 5.png

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
you'll get that, texturing is a little finnicky... turn the brightness of the desaturated layer up to +20 or +43 I like +20 better but +43 is closer to the original camo brightness.
adjust the contrast accordingly to retrieve the original colour

you'll probably find that when it's ingame, the RVMAT may brighten the texture and make it appear the correct colour. I've always had that pet peeve with Arma 3 unit modding, I get the camouflage colour perfect in photoshop. but it's too bright when I test it in the engine itself.

Last edited:

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
it's a pain right?! it's not just me getting that then, thank god.

Oooh Arma 3, and the love-hate relationship it brings... it's toxic.

back on the subject, I think it's the AS map being too bright, but I won't speculate. so long as the texture looks okay to you ingame, then that's fine.

everything okay so far or are you still having trouble getting it to the same colour?

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
no problem, glad I could be of help to you. you know where I am if you need further help.

I'm also on the Bohemia interactive forums and armaholic under the same name too :)

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
Nice job! british paras... Me gusta!

Only thing i see is there's camo on the radio on the vest otherwise it looks great! :D

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
nice! DPM looks a bucket load better than the vanilla camo they had for A3.
Is that Takistan?

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
Definitely agree with your choice there... It's an amazing map! I use it through AiA TP. It looks so good with Arma 3's lighting.