What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get this effect [geometric water color shapes]

sinandrei

Dear All!
I would like to ask how to replicate the following geometric water color shapes?
SSL-Symposium-Poster-Final-LowRes-3.jpg
I found many free water color brushes but none were quite geometrical as the ones above, I was wondering if there is an other way to get these mushy-edge shapes.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Hello sinandrei, for whatever reason you image upload was unsuccessful. Would you mind re-uploading it?

These are brushes made from watercolor paper. You can make your own or you might can find some already made online.

To make your own...
Search the net fro any suitable watercolor paper texture that you like.
Open the texture in Ps.
Create a duplicate and turn off the original.
De saturate the duplicate.
Use Image>adjustments>shadows/Highlights to adjust the contrast.

Select an area of the texture and use the Pen Tool or the Brush Tool or any of the shape tools to create the shape you desire.
I think the shapes in your example were drawn with Brush Tool. You may have to make a template and then use the the Command/Control + click the templates layers thumbnail to make a selection.
Then go back and highlight your desaturated duplicate layer.

Next, hit Command/Control + J to copy the selection to it's own layer. Hit Command/Control + D to deselect.
Turn off all other layers.
Use your Rectangular Marquis Tool to make a tight selection around your newly created shape (that has a watercolor paper texture to it now).
Go to Edit>Define brush preset>Give your brush a name.

All that's left to do is change the new brushes color, size, opacity, orientation,.........and so on.
Then you repeat the entire for the next brush shape.
It's really easier than it sounds!

Screen Shot 2014-10-17 at 10.00.34 PM.png

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Here is one made using the Brush Tool to make the template.

Screen Shot 2014-10-17 at 10.57.15 PM.png

Looks like a Dorito to me! LOL!!

Back