What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am getting nowhere fast! I need a little help with Logo ideas.

BlackDogg

I have been tasked(volunteered) with creating a logo design for a technical group in the Northwest. The name is solid but am so new to the creative arena Ive been going in circles with ideas for a month, as well as expressing them in PS. CS6 I have the whole cc suite

The business card design is #1 on list. Should I start with just logo first for the Web? If I have it backward please let me know.

Since our group consists of random experts from most fields I am trying to make something that has "eye appeal"

Sound Technical Partners

Sound - as in Puget Sound (body of water around Seattle area)

Domains owned- soundtechpartners.com, essteepee.com, juststp.com

I would like it to be corporate looking, but our sweet spot market are the customers who buy anything Digital from Costco, Best Buy, Internet, Ebay..etc.

So small business and home systems.

Within our group we offer anything from cleaning software on PC, security package for home network, wifi, Audio/Visual, mentoring, Website creation and deployment. Anything geek, or tech.

TIA

Cheers,
BlackDogg:banghead:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There are many sources that offer great advice on logo design that can steer you in the right direction. Have you done any searches on the matter? Not that some of our members won't have some advice for you, we are here more for the technical side of creating or improving an existing design.

The company name and any ideas that you may have would be a good place to start.

BlackDogg

I guess my main question would be: I am using an existing logo given to me by a motorsports friend of mine. It's the STP logo from STP racing, I would like to take the .jpg file and layer the logo or maybe layer it or something so I can use the shape and go from there.
Best practices would be nice, should I use illustrator? Maybe just first steps once I open the image which to me appears as just a picture, how can I dissect it? Any little hints just to get me stuck back in the tool again would be great.

stp-logo1.jpg
I hope this makes some sort of sense! I kinda just threw everything against the wall, sorry about that.

BD

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
You can use the basic shape. But everything else - hilights, interior bevel - have to be your own so your creation wouldn't be comparable with the STP logo.

The advantages of creating this in a vector program like Illustrator is that the logo is crisp and can be enlarged without affecting its quality.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, Illustrator is what you need to be using.

Please understand that I'm not discouraging you but I would like to mention that of the many, two of the rules of design is to avoid cliches' and try not to imitate. 3D designs are kind of dated. The more contemporary designs are flat hinting toward dimension and make use of positive and negative space.........

Screen Shot 2014-10-16 at 11.16.37 PM.png

BlackDogg

Yes, Illustrator is what you need to be using.

Please understand that I'm not discouraging you but I would like to mention that of the many, two of the rules of design is to avoid cliches' and try not to imitate. 3D designs are kind of dated. The more contemporary designs are flat hinting toward dimension and make use of positive and negative space.........

View attachment 49832
Thank You! This is exactly the advice I am looking for! It's been tough going into this project blind, basically: Buy any software, find examples, try to make it from scratch, stick a pencil in my eye, get 4,000 results from a simple search, throw the computer (pretend) against the wall, then find this site. I am a little more comfortable now.

Thanks again