What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making wood trim in PS

puppychew

Power User
Hi,
I frequently add wood molding on to an image of a house. It has been working OK so far but after a real lot of playing around. I really don't know if I'm doing it the right way of if there is a better way since it takes so long.

What I have been doing is creating a new layer and making a sort of rectangular board with the rectangular marquee too. I fill it with 50% gray. I then do a color overlay to match the color I need - usually a white.

Now I need to make it look like a piece of crown molding or something similar.crown-molding-toutX.jpg
All I really need to do is to create an "S" looking piece.
The image here is just an idea of what I need. I am not concerned about the ends only the face of it.

Then to get the look I want I play around with the drop shadow and inner shadow.
I also use the bevel and emboss. These are tools I really don't understand and if anyone knows of a good tutorial please let me know. It seems that I get the curves I need at the ends. I don't want them there but on the face of my "board".

Any advise would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks!

Back