What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to automate creating margin lines with percentages - is this possible?

Dodididodo

So I've done extensive Googling on this and I'm just going to have to ask you Photoshop Gurus.

A client of mine sends me images in different pixel sizes and different resolutions. In the end, the photos are delivered in a size that is almost square, at either 72 or 300 DPI. The client wants margin lines (rulers) at 5% of the image left and right and 2.5% of the image top and bottom. This is what that looks like:

Schermafbeelding 2014-10-23 om 17.17.27.png

This image is 2230 x 2326, 300 DPI.

I'd like to create an action that automatically creates the margin lines at the right spots, but I can't figure out how. The problem of course being that the images always differ in size and resolution. Any ideas? I'd REALLY appreciate the help, this is taking up too much of my time.

MrToM

Guru
Are you familiar with recording actions?

I've created an action but don't want to go through stuff you already know.

Regards.
MrTom.

hawkeye

Guru
FIRST- change the units in Preferences to percentage. Now record your action using View-New Guide and type in the percentages. In your case 5% vertical, 95 % vertical, 97.5% horizontal, and 5% horizontal.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Just for information..have you seen the new guideline placement in PS2014? You can now specify where the guides are placed and PS will also place guides based on the content also.

Dodididodo

Are you familiar with recording actions?

I've created an action but don't want to go through stuff you already know.

Regards.
MrTom.

Yes, I am familiar with actions.

I'll give Hawkeye's method a shot, and I'll have to find more info regarding the new guideline placement ... Not familiar with that yet.

MrToM

Guru
My suggestion is similar to hawkeye only I used 2.5% and 97.5% horizontal, and 5% and 95% vertical and didn't change the units.
Actually, that's not strictly true. The values I used were in fact all the same, as long as you record 4 New Guides it doesn't really matter which orientation or value you use.....

...and here's why:

Once the action had been recorded I then opened each 'New Guide' (Make) process, double clicked it to edit and then changed the orientation and values to whatever is needed, in this case the values above.

No need to re-record...just edit to taste.

action_A_01].png

In the image above you can see the resulting guides (orange) fit exactly within the example you posted.(When cropped)

Regards.
MrTom.

Dodididodo

Thank you guys, I gave it a shot today and ended up creating an action that not only solved a cropping problem I didn't mention here, but also solves the issue of the guide lines. Very happy!