What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing color of certain element in an image.

bobo

Hello,

Is there a newbie friendly way to change the color of the light gray structure in the attached images to very dark gray / black ? I tried using the color replacement tool, but it sort of works with more vibrant colors and not with the darker ones. The general hue/saturation only affects the brushes and the red top.
Thank you for any advice.
gate2.jpggate1.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello bobo and welcome to PSG.

Here is one way........

First add a Brightness & Contrast adjustment layer and lower the brightness and increase the contrast. Notice that this will also add a layer mask. The mask will be white, hit cmd/cntrl + I to invert the layer mask to black.

Use your Pen Tool to select the areas you wish to turn black, highlight the Brightness & Contrast layers...layer mask, fill the selection with white. (I just did one side.)

Screen Shot 2014-10-27 at 10.14.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-10-27 at 10.16.01 AM.png

Then, add a Color fill adjustment layer set to black.
Hold alt/option + drag the Brightness & Contrasts layer mask to the new Color fill adjustment layers mask and drop. You will get a message asking if you want to replace the layer mask say YES.

Now lower the Color Fill adjustment layers opacity to where you like it.

Screen Shot 2014-10-27 at 10.20.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-10-27 at 10.20.41 AM.png

Last edited:

bobo

Dear Sir,
Thank you alot for the clear instructions i managed to followed them with no problem. One last question, how can now smooth out the edges so theres no light grey small line leftovers, like on the sides and near the brushes. Attached below is what i got. Thank you again for help.gate2 v3.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is caused by your selection.

If you used the technique I described, you will have to select the Brightness & Contrast mask...

Select/highlight the layer mask, the white bracket will appear.

Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 9.08.15 AM copy.png

Right click and select 'Refine Mask'...

Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 9.08.28 AM copy.png

Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 9.16.38 AM.png

Once you have adjusted the Brightness & Contrast mask, you will again have to at/option + click and drag the newly refined mask to Color fill layer mask to replace the old one.

Last edited: