What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

large poster

jenjen

Hello,
I need to create a very karge poster size 2.5 meters high and 3.92 width with jpg content. Where do i start? DO I design a normal sized picture and upscale it or...?
thanks

MrToM

Guru
No.

Work out the size of the image you need, (In px), for the resolution you need to print at.
Its pretty simple maths....you already know the output size.

Regards.
MrTom.

jenjen

ok, but what do I do with the jpg pictures? They have a reletivly small resolution for the size of the poster.

MrToM

Guru
Well, not much.

As you stated in your first post you can try up-scaling, PS does [now] do a pretty good job of it, but it stands to reason that what the output looks like will very much depend on the amount of scaling you need to do.

Its more usual to have the output size in mind when sourcing images, rather than trying to stretch a postage stamp over a football field.....ya know?

You're best bet is just try a small sample of it first.
Work out the image size, up-scale the image to fit, then print out a small area of it and see what it looks like.

There's not really much else you can do apart from source a larger sized image.

Regards.
MrTom.

Tom Mann

Guru
Let me mention some slightly different aspects of this.

When looking at a poster, most people stand back so that it subtends roughly the same angle as they would view a smaller photo. Because of this tendency, for most people / viewing situations, if a photo taken on a modern camera (ie, larger than 3000 pixels in the long dimension) looks sharp on your monitor when zoomed in, the chances are good that it will satisfy most viewers of the poster.

Of course, there are exceptions to the above guideline. A common one being a photo of a large group of people. In this case, people will tend to put their nose about 8" away from the poster in order to have a good look at themselves or their friends, and they will look blurry at that distance if you use the above guideline.

With respect to up-rez'ing your photo, almost all of the poster mfgrs that you will find on the internet catering to ordinary consumers will probably do just about as good a job as you can in up-rez'ing your photo. They up-rez consumer pix all day long -- it is what they do for a living, so they do a good job of it or they go out of business.

Of course, there are exceptions to this, as well. High volume commercial presses (ie, offset printing operations for magazines, etc.) generally don't want to get involved in this, so they require print-ready, full sized files. In this case you will have to up-rez your photo yourself, but it doesn't sound like you should be dealing with a company like this.

Another exception to the let-them-do-the-up-rez'ing-for-you guidance is that any text you add to the image must be sharp, even when viewed standing inches away from the poster. So, if you plan to put text on your poster, then you will have to up-rez yourself and then add the text once the image is at its final resolution.

There are lots of other things that could be discussed, but these are the basics.

Tom M

jenjen

No.

Work out the size of the image you need, (In px), for the resolution you need to print at.
Its pretty simple maths....you already know the output size.

Regards.
MrTom.
O.k so i tryed to do the math and got even more confused ( im not used to work with print :redface:) could someone help me figure it out? I've been asked to set the ppi to 600 and scale the work 1:10. the print size is 2.5 meter high and 3.92 width. So 1:10 would be 25 centimetersX39.2 centimeters. so if i set this data to the image size window i get a huge canvas and the file is realy heavy. if i turn off the rescale and only put the ppi it gives me a very small canvas.... I'm cluelesss:banghead:
How do i set it up?

Tom Mann

Guru
Who have you approached to have the poster printed? Who gave you the 1:10 advice? Can you give us the URL of their website? Are you constrained to use one particular printer?

Tom M

MrToM

Guru
...could someone help me figure it out? I've been asked to set the ppi to 600 and scale the work 1:10. ..

Well, now that we have more than 1 piece of information, yes....the maths can be done.

Output size(mm): 3920 x 2500
Output size(inch): 154.3 x 98.4

We convert to inches as the ppi is also in inches and most printers will want a resolution in ppi.

With ppi = 600:
Calculate the width: 154.3 x 600 = 92580 px
Calculate the height: 98.4 x 600 = 59052 px

Therefore your image dimensions need to be 92580 x 59052 px

To set that up in PS use File > New...
Enter 92580 for the width (In px)
Enter 59052 for the height (In px)
Enter 600 for the resolution (In Pixels/Inch)

As Mr Mann has pointed out, quite what the 1:10 ratio refers to is a bit of a mystery.

Regards.
MrTom.

Tom Mann

Guru
Actually, I didn't quite say it was a mystery -- it's common for poster mfgrs to do that making posters -- but I have other questions.

The 1:10 reduction merely means that she should make it 9258 x 5905 px instead of 10x that. It's equivalent to using 60 ppi instead of 600 ppi, but saying it this way doesn't freak people out so much especially when many customers have been taught never to go below 150 or 175 ppi, and even then, only occasionally, LOL.

Tom M

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Dependent on the image, it may be possible to bring it into Adobe Illustrator and use Image Trace to make it into a resolution independent vector image. Once done it can be sized to any size and then export as a jpg ( not the best though as it is a lossy format) Why you would do that for a printed item I have not a clue as there are better options. Can you post the image here?
ok, but what do I do with the jpg pictures? They have a reletivly small resolution for the size of the poster.

jenjen

Well, now that we have more than 1 piece of information, yes....the maths can be done.

Output size(mm): 3920 x 2500
Output size(inch): 154.3 x 98.4

We convert to inches as the ppi is also in inches and most printers will want a resolution in ppi.

With ppi = 600:
Calculate the width: 154.3 x 600 = 92580 px
Calculate the height: 98.4 x 600 = 59052 px

Therefore your image dimensions need to be 92580 x 59052 px

To set that up in PS use File > New...
Enter 92580 for the width (In px)
Enter 59052 for the height (In px)
Enter 600 for the resolution (In Pixels/Inch)

As Mr Mann has pointed out, quite what the 1:10 ratio refers to is a bit of a mystery.

Regards.
MrTom.
Thank you very much