What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I draw a wavy line, select a path, and then follow it with text?

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
No worries mate..I think I helped the OP by getting her to use Ai. I knew she had it from her original post here a few days ago. She is learning anyway and thought this would give her an assist in getting her work done.
My apologies.....this thread is moving at such a pace I totally missed this post.

I'm with ya now!

Thanks Larry, much appreciated.

Regards.
MrTom.

MrToM

Guru
..I think I helped the OP by getting her to use Ai. I knew she had it from her original post here a few days ago. She is learning anyway and thought this would give her an assist in getting her work done.

Absolutely!

I'll be the first to admit that AI is not my first language so its all alien to me too!

Text following a PENCIL line....who would have thought it!
How easy is that!

Thanks again.

Regards.
MrTom.

HTwebservices

I found an easier way to do this in Illustrator. Maybe this will help someone. On the top Menu under "Effect" select "Outline Object" . . . THEN take your pen tool and it automatically clicks along the edge of the object. The closer together your "nodes" are, the smoother your line will be. So here's how mine ended up . . . FINALLY after all that help from you all and a little trial and error:

FINALLY.png
Nothing fancy, but it took me 3 different graphic design programs to accomplish LOL. Thanks much for all your help!

ALB68

Very Cool HT. Like I said, just search around and you'll find all kinds of cool stuff about Adobe programs. Good job!:thumbsup:
I found an easier way to do this in Illustrator. Maybe this will help someone. On the top Menu under "Effect" select "Outline Object" . . . THEN take your pen tool and it automatically clicks along the edge of the object. The closer together your "nodes" are, the smoother your line will be. So here's how mine ended up . . . FINALLY after all that help from you all and a little trial and error:

View attachment 50214
Nothing fancy, but it took me 3 different graphic design programs to accomplish LOL. Thanks much for all your help!

ALB68

Photoshop is like a migraine when it comes to text and vector operations compared to Ai. The latest versions have some cool things like the Touch Type tool that allows you to actually select a character in a line of text and manipulate it several different ways and then the text still remains intact as text.
Absolutely!

I'll be the first to admit that AI is not my first language so its all alien to me too!

Text following a PENCIL line....who would have thought it!
How easy is that!

Thanks again.

Regards.
MrTom.

ALB68

Hold down Alt or Option on a Mac when you click it and see what happens. Your Pencil tool shows the little down arrow in the corner indicating there is more underneath. That's where you click, not the tool.(unless you hold down Alt or Option)
I found that same site too, but my tools palette is different. That must only apply to CS4, as when I click on the pencil tool (right or left) in CS5 there are no further options. But thanks!

Last edited:

HTwebservices

Hold down Alt or Option on a Mac when you click it and see what happens. Your Pencil tool shows the little down arrow in the corner indicating there is more underneath. That's where you click, not the tool.(unless you hold down Alt or Option)

I have windows, but figured it was worth a shot anyhow. Holding down Alt when clicking on pencil tool (in illustrator)
changes it to blend/smooth. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm excited to. Finally have some success . . . :)

Last edited:

ALB68

There are all kinds of ways to do things. Best way to learn is to figure out the project you want to do and then just go do it. As you find things you don't know (and there will be plenty) just go to help or to the internet, Youtube etc and solve them. Next time you won't have to do that and just keep building your knowledge. Before long, you will find you have gotten proficient and can do anything you like with it. Good luck and let us know if you need more help.
I have windows, but figured it was worth a shot anyhow. Holding down Alt when clicking on pencil tool (in illustrator)
changes it to blend/smooth. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm excited to. Finally have some success . . . :)

ALB68

HT
In the beginning when you first came to the forum, I remember saying your clients wanted Photoshop files. You can of course export what you created back to PS but Ai also creates PDF files which will preserve the vectors. You may want to speak to your client as to what they want. If you need assistance with getting to the right format just give a shout.

HTwebservices

HT
In the beginning when you first came to the forum, I remember saying your clients wanted Photoshop files. You can of course export what you created back to PS but Ai also creates PDF files which will preserve the vectors. You may want to speak to your client as to what they want. If you need assistance with getting to the right format just give a shout.

I discovered I can save AI as PDF and open them in Photoshop and then save as .psd . . . . it all works in the end LOL

ALB68

Absolutely. Remember that PDF's are a child of Adobe. You can also save them from Photoshop. Just remember to save them in a version that most people can open..like Version 6 or so if your sending them out. That's a great way to do it but you can also just Export and choose PSD as the format. You can also just copy the content and simply paste it into PS. It will give you several options as to how to handle the paste when doing it in Photoshop. Also learn about Smart Objects,
I discovered I can save AI as PDF and open them in Photoshop and then save as .psd . . . . it all works in the end LOL

Last edited: