What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I draw a wavy line, select a path, and then follow it with text?

HTwebservices

I'm having real trouble with knowing which tools and which settings to use. I've tried looking for tutorials and they all seem to be for a different version of Photoshop than I'm using. I have CS5. Here's an example of sort of what I want to be able to do:

wavy text.png

Except that I want to be able to write above the following graphic:

wavy line.png
or something along those lines.

Can anybody help me?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you don't already have one, you will have to create a new path, matching the example you provided, for the text to follow.

HTwebservices

If you don't already have one, you will have to create a new path, matching the example you provided, for the text to follow.

Ok, here's a stupid question, but how do I draw a new path to match that sample? So far all I seem to be able to do is draw straight lines or silly shapes that don't help me whatsoever. I get so frustrated! How can I draw a path with smooth curves? I can draw draw circles and ovals and all that, but how do I do waves?

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You need to use the Pen Tool.

Just create a new layer over the image and use the Pen Tool to create the wavy path.

Screen Shot 2014-10-29 at 7.16.25 PM.png

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
It isn't perfect but see if this helps with text on a path...(There is no audio)

The first bit just indicates where to click when using the 'Pen' tool....you don't actually have to create the orange dots.
[video=youtube_share;xqJo1jFRCk4]http://youtu.be/xqJo1jFRCk4[/video]

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

HTwebservices

It isn't perfect but see if this helps with text on a path...(There is no audio)

The first bit just indicates where to click when using the 'Pen' tool....you don't actually have to create the orange dots.

MrTom.

thanks, that was very helpful. I just have trouble knowing which tool is named what and which tool to use. I'll figure it out eventually . . . hopefully.thanks so much for taking the time to post that! The main thing I don't get is that when I use my pen tool it just draws freeform lines. What do I select to get it to make the points like you did? I'm sorry to be bugging you with this, but I'm working on a logo and it's driving me mad. It seems like it should be such a simple task, but I'm struggling so with it. The other thing I struggle with is selecting an area. Sometimes I THINK I have it selected, but then there's nothing there. Do I need to rasterize the layer before I can select it?

By the way, I usually work with transparent backgrounds. Thanks again so much for your help! Are you using a different version of Photoshop? I have CS5.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
The 'Pen' tool works in two ways:

1. (As I've demonstrated)
Click, move, click, move, click etc.
This will produce 'Corner' points and straight lines between each one.

2. Click + drag, move, click + drag, move, click + drag etc.
This will produce 'Bezier' points (curves).

If you are not familiar with using the 'Pen' tool then method #1 is the easiest way to produce curves, which is why I showed you that method in my video.

Method #2 produces the same results but all in one go.....creating the points AND the curve by dragging the mouse.
This is not so easy to get right.

Once the points are done you can use the 'Direct Selection' tool, (The White Arrow), to position them more precisely.

Follow what I have shown you in the video and play around with it......lay down some points, convert them (as shown) and move them around (as shown).

Once you get the hang of that then try moving each 'Control handle' (Made visible when an existing point is clicked or selected)

As to selections, well, there are many ways to make a selection.
One thing I will say is that the word 'Selection' is a little misleading....a 'selection' doesn't actually 'select' anything at all, its just an outline or border to denote that any further action you take will affect only the area within that outline/border.

For example:
With a 'selection' visible pressing the 'delete' key will permanently erase the pixels within it. this will happen ONLY on the layer selected in the layers panel.

If you 'Fill' with a selection it will 'Fill' with the foreground colour within that selection ONLY on the layer selected in the layers panel.

Think of a 'selection' as just designating an area in which PS will work, rather than actually 'selecting' something.
It IS possible to have pixels 'within' that area but this is only under special copying techniques.

If you think about it the tool you use for 'selecting' isn't called the 'selection' tool.....its a 'marquee' tool....indicating it makes a boundary or border and does not 'select' anything at all.

Now that you are totally confused I'll leave it with you.

Not sure of the relevance with transparent backgrounds and yes, I use CC 2014.
I haven't used anything you do not have access to, the 'Pen' group of tools hasn't changed for a long time.

Regards.
MrTom.

HTwebservices

The 'Pen' tool works in two ways:

Now that you are totally confused I'll leave it with you.

Not sure of the relevance with transparent backgrounds and yes, I use CC 2014.
I haven't used anything you do not have access to, the 'Pen' group of tools hasn't changed for a long time.

Regards.
MrTom.

Thank so you much for your detailed instructions and patience with my stupidity. I will do my best to follow your instructions and hopefully I'll get the hang of it! I think I was born totally confused. My main problem is that I'm so used to the layout and tools in Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8.1 and I'm having trouble transitioning to Photoshop & Illustrator. Cheers!

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
This may be helpful. Take a look at this guide for your tools http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/tools.html
thanks, that was very helpful. I just have trouble knowing which tool is named what and which tool to use. I'll figure it out eventually . . . hopefully.thanks so much for taking the time to post that! The main thing I don't get is that when I use my pen tool it just draws freeform lines. What do I select to get it to make the points like you did? I'm sorry to be bugging you with this, but I'm working on a logo and it's driving me mad. It seems like it should be such a simple task, but I'm struggling so with it. The other thing I struggle with is selecting an area. Sometimes I THINK I have it selected, but then there's nothing there. Do I need to rasterize the layer before I can select it?

By the way, I usually work with transparent backgrounds. Thanks again so much for your help! Are you using a different version of Photoshop? I have CS5.

HTwebservices

when I select the pen tool and right click to select "Add Anchor Point Tool" a notification comes up under the main menu bar that says "No options for the Add Anchor Point Tool." I can't get this stupid program to add anchor points to save my soul. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I watched your tutorial and it was great, but my program just doesn't work like yours. I'm so sorry to be wasting your time like this. Maybe I should just give up . . . but I can create such better logos if I can create anchor points to adjust images and even text shapes. I can create the upper wave parts by using the "arc" text tool. But the lower wave parts, there is no inverse counterpart (i.e. if I select "arc lower" it distorts the text).

Last edited:

HTwebservices

another stupid question; how can I get the program to let me undo more than one action. In PSP I can undo unlimited actions.

ALB68

HT, with the pen tool loaded..when you move the cursor over the path itself, does a little + sign appear? If so, right click at that time and a menu will appear.
when I select the pen tool and right click to select "Add Anchor Point Tool" a notification comes up under the main menu bar that says "No options for the Add Anchor Point Tool." I can't get this stupid program to add anchor points to save my soul. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I watched your tutorial and it was great, but my program just doesn't work like yours. I'm so sorry to be wasting your time like this. Maybe I should just give up . . . but I can create such better logos if I can create anchor points to adjust images and even text shapes. I can create the upper wave parts by using the "arc" text tool. But the lower wave parts, there is no inverse counterpart (i.e. if I select "arc lower" it distorts the text).

ALB68

Just click on File/ Step Backward. You can also do this by calling up the history panel.Window/History Panel
another stupid question; how can I get the program to let me undo more than one action. In PSP I can undo unlimited actions.

HTwebservices

I'm sorry..my bad..it's under Edit/Step Backward

Just click on File/ Step Backward. You can also do this by calling up the history panel.Window/History Panel

I don't have a "File/Step backward option" but was able to delete steps using Window/Hostory. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: