What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to create height maps - craters!

Daf57

Hello again! :)

How would one go about creating height maps like the one below? I'm wanting to use a few of these to create some craters - would be used in Mudbox and 3D Max as displacement maps. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks!
Daf

cratermap3.jpg

MrToM

Guru
Do you mean from scratch and only using PS?

There are a few ways you can create maps, it really depends on what sources you already have as to which method you use.
Also, where the map is going to be used and for what...I know you've mentioned that already but if the maps are purely for use in Max and Mudbox, as opposed to a game engine, this may also influence how you create them.

Regards.
MrTom.

Daf57

Hi MrTom!

Doesn't have to be just Photoshop but I assumed it could be done in there. I'm open to all suggestions. :)

Daf57

Actually I'm having some luck with Bryce - I remembered it had a terrain editor and luckily you can export 2k or 4k height maps from it. This may be the easiest way - you can design the crater then export it out. :thumbsup: