What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making gif from avi

crabbing

I just received CS2, today. I'm trying to load an avi to make a gif, but I can't figure out how to open the video file. I tried researching a little but the options the instructions said to use aren't in my program. Another problem I am having is that I am trying to rotate a gif, I got the gif to rotate and it looks great but when I try to save it just saves as one picture and doesn't animate. I chose to save as gif, but it just isn't working out. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hoogle

Guru
I cant remember if CS2 supports this feature or not but if it does it is
File > Import > Video frames to layers

you will probably want to skip every other frame for gif

as for saving you have to select
file > save for web and that will allow the animation

just clicking file save as and selecting gif will not be an animated gif so use the save for web option

crabbing

"File > Import > Video frames to layers" is the option I don't have, just has some devices to choose from. Thanks for the other advice on saving, I'll try that next.

MrToM

Guru
Hoogle is right, CS2 doesn't support video.

All is not lost though....if you find an avi to frames generator you can generate a folder full of frames and then use Imageready to import those frames as layers...

[In ImageReady]
File > Import > Folder as Frames...

This will place each image on its own layer....open the Timeline and there is your animation.

You can then export the animation as a gif file using...

File > Export > Animation frames as Files...

An alternative would be to save as a PSD file, open the PSD file in Photoshop THEN do as Hoogle said and use...
File > Save For Web...

Either way you'll get an animated gif.

Your only mission then would be to find the AVI to Frames generator.

Regards.
MrTom.

Hoogle

Guru
If you have after effects cs2 then I believe that had the function of saving as a gif file

crabbing

It seems to be a little complicated in PS I use an old version of Ulead Gif Animator that is very easy to use. I've been importing avi videos for years with no problem but it doesn't do MP4 or h264 I think it was free up to version 5 and still out there
that's what I use, ulead has quit reading my video files, I googled the problem and saw one other person who had the same problem, but I couldn't find any help. I must have installed something or downloaded something that caused ulead to mess up. Reads images just fine, just no videos anymore.

crabbing

I used to use ulead, but it started to no longer be able to read video files for some reason.

Igrecman

that's what I use, ulead has quit reading my video files, I googled the problem and saw one other person who had the same problem, but I couldn't find any help. I must have installed something or downloaded something that caused ulead to mess up. Reads images just fine, just no videos anymore.
I have no problems with videos I convert to avi using the divx codec. But yeah, it can't read all video codecs or formats

Last edited:

crabbing

I had no problems before a few days ago. I Split a video into a few parts, I read the first parts, then stopped reading anything. My computer must be having problems

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
So it was working before..... Try resetting your PS preference.

Start Photoshop while holding down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows)

or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS X).

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Is Image Ready CS included in the installation package of your CS2 ?

I think you can import the Avi into frame animation from Image Ready CS. The only drawback with IR is it compresses the the gif to a smaller file.

edit... I forgot to mention that you may have to convert the avi to .mov first.

MrToM

Guru
...Is Image Ready CS included in the installation package of your CS2 ?...
It should be, which is why I suggested using it way back in post #5.

No idea if the OP even tried it though.

Regards.
MrTom.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
It should be, which is why I suggested using it way back in post #5.

No idea if the OP even tried it though.

Regards.
MrTom.

IR was incorporated into PS in version 3 (I think).

I don't think the OP is even aware he has IR bundled in his installation options. That is if his installer has IR to begin with... :neutral:

MrToM

Guru
...That is if his installer has IR to begin with...

Could it not have then? (How bad is THAT grammar!) :eek:

Is it possible to install CS2 without IR?

Whatever....you're probably right, the OP is probably unaware they have it....I kind of hoped they would think that a suggestion wouldn't be put forward if it wasn't possible for them to carry it out.....that would be just silly.

Lets hope the OP does have IR, does try it out, does solve their problem, does post to let us know, and does send us all a xmas present.

OK, maybe a present is pushing it but a card each at least.

Regards.
MrTom.