What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fitting still images to video dimensions.

Seany

Hi I'm working with still images in a video I'm editing-along with moving images of course. The png still images I'm working with are too narrow in respect to my video dimensions and I'm looking for a way of widening my png still images without creating a stretching effect, I was told this can be done in photoshop by stretching the background while keeping figures/ objects still?? I'm a complete novice with PS so any help would be appreciated.

S

MrToM

Guru
You can do as you describe yes......but it really depends on how much bigger the image needs to be as to what method you use to scale it.

Without knowing specific details of your OS, software used, versions, image sizes....etc etc....its impossible to give specific suggestions.

If you can supply the above it would help to give you more precise suggestions....the more info you give us the better.

Regards.
MrTom.

MrToM

Guru
Excellent!

Anything you deem relevant......it all helps to tailor a solution for your set-up.

Regards.
MrTom.

Seany

So here is the info on the files, video dimensions and still dimensions, I'm using fcpx 10.1

MrToM

Guru
Ok....and I take your using a Mac yes?
PS version?

Whatever.....going from 720x540 to 1920x1080 is a HUGE jump....whatever you do its not going to be pretty.
You need to make that image over 5 times bigger (266.67%!!!!).

The "marching ants" represent the size after up-scaling to fit the width.

up-scaling.jpg

You can try this in PS but the outcome very much depends on the content of the image.

1. Select the 'Image' layer in the layers panel.
2. Hit Command + T to enter transform mode...
3. At the top of the workspace enter 266.67% for both the width and height ( W: H: )
4. Accept the transform.

If the image dosen't look right try changing the "Interpolation" method.....you haven't said what PS version you use so I can't say where that is for you but normally when in "transform mode" (Command + T) its a dropdown option in the menu bar at the top of the workspace.

You may need to try several different Interpolation methods before one of them "looks" right.

Other than getting a larger version of the png there's not much else you can do.....there are only so many pixels in the image.

See how that goes anyway......you may get lucky.

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
I forgot to mention.....you may have noticed that some cropping will occur because of the different aspect ratios of the two image sizes.

Whilst in Transform mode you can move the image either up or down to fit the content into the frame.....this may not be ideal but with different aspects this cannot be helped.

If you can't afford to lose any of the image via cropping then "Content Aware Scaling" may be your only option....again, this very much depends on the content of the image.

If that's the case then you'd be best off searching for tutorials on Content Aware Scaling....there are plenty of them.

Here's just one from Adobe's Julieanne Kost...

This will certainly do what you want but I couldn't guarantee the result would be acceptable....you'll just have to try it and see.

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

Seany

Thanks very much for your exhaustive reply, I didn't generate the image myself so I haven't got that info on PS version to hand yet.

MrToM

Guru
...I didn't generate the image myself so I haven't got that info on PS version to hand yet...

Ah, no.....sorry that's not what I meant....you are using PS to change the image...right?

Its your version that would help....what version are you using?

If we know that then we can explain things better....Adobe have a habit of moving stuff around between versions....not much but enough to confuse.

Thats what I meant by OS and software versions....it would help to know what you are using to do the job.

Regards.
MrTom.

Seany

CS6 version 13.0...So far it seems I'll have to try the content aware technique, I'm not sure how that sony vegas tutorial helps maybe I'm missing something and the manual changing of pixel dimensions seems to distort anyhow.
Tom I had problems using transform, maybe telling you the version I have will help explain better?

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
OP: "...The png still images I'm working with are too narrow in respect to my video dimensions and I'm looking for a way of widening my png still images without creating a stretching effect,..."

Are you talking about enlarging (aka, up-rez'ing) your still, ie, as Mr. Tom discussed in post #7 of this thread, or are you talking about changing the aspect ratio of your still image without much overall enlargement?

The following statement of yours suggests that it might be the latter:
OP: "...I was told this can be done in photoshop by stretching the background while keeping figures/ objects still??..."

Cheers,

Tom Mann

Seany

I'm not sure I get the difference Tom, the width of my image is less than that of the width of my video image, I want to make the image width the same size as the video width.

MrToM

Guru
CS6 version 13.0...
Splendid.

Well the transform tool hasn't changed any since CS6.
What is the problem you are having with it?

If the shortcuts don't work for you can Use Edit > Transform > Scale instead....you'll still get the type-in boxes in the menu bar.

Regards.
MrTom.

Seany

Thanks for all the help folks, turns out my client has the images in 960X720 after all, went into photoshop and just changed it to 1280 x 720, phew!!

Tom Mann

Guru
Glad it worked out for you, Seany!

Although it's now a moot point, the distinction that I was making was that you kept stating that the width had to be changed, but you didn't say anything about the height. I was just trying to figure out what exactly you wanted to do about the latter.

Cheers,

Tom

Seany

No worries, yes the height had changed in the original images they gave me and I'd forgotten to mention height as you point out, thanks again, I'm sure i'll be pestering this board with more questions in the future ;)
Sean