What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

colors are changing by themselves?! help?

ozymay

Hello

I am drawing up some designs on Photoshop and I noticed a odd problem. half of my drawing is a slight lighter color than the rest.
About half way down the page the same exact shade of red, green, (any color) turns into a pastel almost color. But the top half of the image its fine.
Even if I just move the image with my mouse, the image seems to get lighter even before I place it down on to the page.
I am also in RBG and am not sure what is causing this issue.

Thanks for the help

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Ozymay -

Welcome to PSG.

So, at the risk of stating the obvious, the problem is either (a) in your system, or, (b) in the file that you are working on.

If you post the PSD file, we can tell you if it is, or is not in the file.

If the file is really large or you don't want us to see everything in the file, just crop a long, thin rectangular strip out of it (leave all the layers intact) that shows the effect.

If the forum uploading software doesn't accept the PSD file, even after cropping, zip it, and you should be able to upload it with no problem.

Hope we can help.

Tom M

ozymay

Thanks Tom, I appreciate the help.

How do I insert the PSD or zip file to this? I only see my ability to upload an image itself.

Thanks

Tom Mann

Guru
Attempt to upload it just as if it was an image. You should see a question mark instead of a thumbnail of an image since it won't recognize the zip file type. Click okay, and you're done.

Tom

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
The colors look fine in my monitor view.

Do other images look like this ? This might be caused by an uncalibrated monitor. You can try adjusting the monitor settings.

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Ozymay -

The two colors both look, and measure (using the eyedropper tool) absolutely constant within each block.

However, in your first post, you mentioned that colors turn into pastels. Just to check, I hope you intended the two colored rectangles in your file to be a pastel-ish salmon (HSB = 0 deg, 68%, 100% ) and a not-full-saturated yellow (HSB = 52 deg, 68%, 100% ). They certainly are not fully saturated.

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
Assuming those were the colors you intended, from your description of the problem, my first guess would be a problem with either your monitor (...is it a laptop, by any chance?), video card, or the video driver.

BTW, FWIW, my daughter's laptop, in its old age, had a vaguely similar problem - color saturation in about half the screen was sometimes much less than elsewhere on the screen, and the exact location would jump around depending on the angle the screen was placed at (ie, the hinge angle).

Tom M

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Assuming those were the colors you intended, from your description of the problem, my first guess would be a problem with either your monitor (...is it a laptop, by any chance?), video card, or the video driver.

BTW, FWIW, my daughter's laptop, in its old age, had a vaguely similar problem - color saturation in about half the screen was sometimes much less than elsewhere on the screen, and the exact location would jump around depending on the angle the screen was placed at (ie, the hinge angle).

Tom M

I was thinking whether the older (or some new) monitors Degauss function might help. I once had this on an older monitor but the Degauss cleared it up.

ozymay

Tom M

Thanks for all the help Tom. It very well could be my screen. I am using a laptop at the current time so maybe I need to look in to the driver or video card to see if I can figure out what it is. Appreciate it :)

Tom Mann

Guru
I will check Degauss out, thanks!
Unfortunately, de-Gaussing only works with CRT monitors. The electrons in solid state displays (ie, like in your laptop) are not deflected to any noticeable degree by magnetic fields of any reasonable strength. Then again, if you are using it around a superconducting MRI machine in a hospital, all bets are off, LOL.

T

Tom Mann

Guru
Thanks for all the help Tom. It very well could be my screen. I am using a laptop at the current time so maybe I need to look in to the driver or video card to see if I can figure out what it is. Appreciate it :)
You are welcome, but I hope the thanks aren't premature.

Wiggle the screen open and shut a few times, both large and small amounts, and see if the problem changes. The problem with my daughter's laptop turned out to be the actual (physical) electrical connection between the body of the laptop and the screen.

Tom M