What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diagonal Rectangular Marquee?

westernmalarkey

Hello all,

I am wondering if there is a way to create a diagonal rectangular marquee. When I have tried to rotate the marquee diagonally it rotates the entire image with it, which is not what I want. Any advice would be appreciated. I have done some searching on the forum, but haven't really found anything. If this has been covered before feel free to send a link!

Thank you.

MrToM

Guru
If you want to rotate the selection (Marching ants) use:

Select > Transform Selection

You can do move, scale, rotate and, when holding Ctrl + Alt, skew as well.

Regards.
MrTom.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Hi.

triangle selection.jpg

Use the Polygon Tool set to path with 3 sides to first create the triangular path (use the settings you see in image) . Press Shift and drag the tool pointer upwards to create a uniform, upright shape. Press CTRL and drag the shape to move it.

Press shift and click the work path layer in path palette and it reverts to the ants.

In addition to what MrTom mentioned, it's sometimes important that this as well as when using the regular selection tools that it be used on a new, empty layer as it's the normal tendency for the selection marquee to include whatever pixel or image is within the selection area when you rotate it.

Hope this helps.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
It's still eating me out....... :banghead:

In truth.... I don't know what the OP meant when he said "DIAGONAL RECTANGLE".

This is a diagonal rectangle -
diagonal rectangle.jpg
A-C and B-D are the diagonals.

Basically a rectangle. You can use the basic Rectangle marquee tool or shape tool to do this.

Why I chose a triangle? In case the OP had some other shape in mind. Works almost the same with other shape tools, anyway... and one can select number of sides in settings.

MrToM

Guru
...When I have tried to rotate the marquee diagonally it rotates the entire image with it, which is not what I want...

I based my suggestion on this.....its about as close to 'diagonal' as I could muster.

The polygonal lasso tool would be my next move....snapping to guides if needs be.

Regards.
MrTom.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I must be overly thinking too much ..... no work activity for me today.....

Unless he meant a shape appearance like in the old Adobe Pagemaker shape or text box..... an X-box shape..... :cheesygrin:

Tom Mann

Guru
dv8_fx - Hey, "Literal" is my middle name, at least according to my wife!
MrTom - That's a great cartoon. I last saw it years (decades?) ago. It's good to see it again, and still rings true!

Tom M