What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help needed..

eurocub83

Hi guy's I'm fairly new to photoshop and am needing some help with project I'd like to start.

Ok, so I am wanting to turn a photograph of our Dog (who recently passed away) into a black and white stencil which I will then cut out from plywood with a scroll sa for framing. (If you google scroll saw portraits you will have an idea of what they are). ( if you don't already know)

Anyway, I have found some tutorials online regarding this topic and I have tried them out with a few different photos but cannot get a good result..

Could anyone here help me with this project as I would like it to be a christmas present to my girlfriend..

colleague

Guru
can you upload the picture you like the most ?

Attachments

• upload.jpg
    upload.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 29

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Hi guy's I'm fairly new to photoshop and am needing some help with project I'd like to start.

Ok, so I am wanting to turn a photograph of our Dog (who recently passed away) into a black and white stencil which I will then cut out from plywood with a scroll sa for framing. (If you google scroll saw portraits you will have an idea of what they are). ( if you don't already know)

Anyway, I have found some tutorials online regarding this topic and I have tried them out with a few different photos but cannot get a good result..

Could anyone here help me with this project as I would like it to be a christmas present to my girlfriend..

First of all, may I ask what your skill level is with the scroll saw? If you are an experienced scroller, you will recognize Steve Goode as a recognized expert with the scroll saw. This link is for one of his videos on your subject. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu9MutXvCxs However, this describes how to do what you want to do with Corel Draw. I have to say this methodology is less involved than doing it in Photoshop, but the same thing can be duplicated with it.
Upload the photo you want to use and I will try and walk you through the steps in PS.

eurocub83

Hi guys,

Yes I have seen a few of steves videos but they're all for paintshop and corel etc..
Anyway, i have done a few portraits in the past mostly just downloaded patterns and cut them out.

I have narrowed my selection down to 3 photos.. maybe you could also have a look and give your thoughts on what may work best..

Thanks again..View attachment 50873View attachment 50874

ALB68

Hi guys,

Yes I have seen a few of steves videos but they're all for paintshop and corel etc..
Anyway, i have done a few portraits in the past mostly just downloaded patterns and cut them out.

I have narrowed my selection down to 3 photos.. maybe you could also have a look and give your thoughts on what may work best..

Thanks again..View attachment 50873View attachment 50874
For some reason your photos are not making it. Try uploading them again.

ALB68

In the meantime, here is an example of what can be produced with Photoshop.
jerky-dog.jpgjerky-dog.png

eurocub83

http://s1276 . photobucket. com/ user/ ciaranmoley /library /Missy

ps. you need to use the back space to delete the spaces in the above link..

Last edited by a moderator:

ALB68

eurocub,
I looked at the link, but I can tell you this, due to the dogs lack of various colors, your going to have a really hard time getting a scrollsaw pattern out of it.

Might be able to use this one.
opdog.jpg

Last edited:

ALB68

You can get a pretty good one. This is just a screen shot and is not completed.
Here are the steps:#1 Load the image and turn the bg into a layer by double clicking it.
#2 Remove the background fence etc using whatever tools you prefer
#3 Duplicate the layer (Ctrl/Cmd J)
#4 Change the blend mode to Color Dodge
#5 Invert the layer (Ctrl/Cmd I (eye)) At this point the layer will be almost white-don't worry
#6 Filter/Blur/Gaussian Blur Adjust the radius until you get something that looks like a line drawing
#7 Add a Threshold Adjustment Layer - adjust the slider to the right to get a well defined black and white image
(If you want to retain your layers for future reference etc, save the file as a PSD at this point)
#8 Make a Duplicate -Image/Duplicate
#9 Flatten the Duplicate
Now, follow Steve Goode's procedure to edit the white areas to make the pattern.
Here is a screen shot of about where you should be before starting to paint and edit the image
View attachment 50880

Attachments

• opdog.PNG
    opdog.PNG
    35.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

eurocub83

Hi Larry,

Thank you so much for your efforts, it looks great. I have just seen your reply today and for the last few days I have been trying out different things with it to no avail!
I also followed the steps in your last post but I am struggling to get the same result as you have. Especially around the (dogs) left eye, I can't get the same detail you got.
I tried to open the attachment you sent me but it says invalid link.
Could you resend it or is it possible to receive it another way?

Thanks again..

ALB68

Hi Larry,

Thank you so much for your efforts, it looks great. I have just seen your reply today and for the last few days I have been trying out different things with it to no avail!
I also followed the steps in your last post but I am struggling to get the same result as you have. Especially around the (dogs) left eye, I can't get the same detail you got.
I tried to open the attachment you sent me but it says invalid link.
Could you resend it or is it possible to receive it another way?

Thanks again..
I am sorry euro, I don't know what attachment your speaking of.