What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help learning Content Aware tools

JDługosz

I've tried some simple object removal using content-aware patch, healing brush, and the old comfortable cloning stamp in color mode.

I'm getting a loss of texture, looking like a shiny spot where the object was removed, or smudges. The effects differ with each choice of tool or technique, and I played around with it for a while. Sometimes repeated applications helps; sometimes it just makes it flatter. Then, given a "flat" (no grain or texture) area, how can I clone just the texture of the wall onto it if the color is already correct? It seems that the Stamp does just the opposite. I've had generally no luck with the healing brush here, with the good old stamp working better for me. The patch tool is cool, but leaves smudges or textureless areas, even with the two parameters turned up. Removing the smudge with another pass does a good job of correcting the color but is worse at losing texture.

Could someone with more experience show me a “good” way to accomplish this?

Here are some details so you know approximately what I'm talking about:
3186=details.jpg
And here is a 1:1 pixel view (albeit still converted to JPEG) so you can better see the texture:
3186=detail_closeup.jpg
In both examples, I'm wanting to remove the microphones and stands/cords.

My files are available on my Dropbox. As it turns out, the two details PSD files together are as large as the original DNG file, so I put that in the directory too.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Use your Clone Stamp Tool, set the mode to normal.

Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 9.04.18 PM.png

MikeMc

McGuru
Content aware can be finicky. Do not try to remove things in one click. Cut things up into smaller irregular parts, then try CA a few times, undo and redo....You can get differences in two or three tries. CA is not a catchall, but using it with clone and patch tools will get you there.

MikeMc

McGuru
I did this in elements in 3 minutes, using clone tool only....I picked a square brush

cloned.PNG