What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about editing multiple layers at once...

OliverGreen

Hello... So I have this image that I am repeating over a background to create a wallpaper affect....Screen Shot 2014-12-09 at 9.05.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-12-09 at 9.05.15 PM.png However, when I adjusted the image size to increase quality, I lost some of the original coloring, now I am touching her up...is there a way I could do it to just one of the layers and have it apply to all of them. The touch-up I'm doing is fairly nuanced and free hand (mouse). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

J

MrToM

Guru
Yep.

Have 'her' in her own PSD file...separate from the one you are currently using......but still keep this current one as a 'working' PSD.

In the one you are currently using use File > Place Linked and select the new PSD with 'her' in it.

This will place 'her' in the current doc as a smart object. From here you can duplicate it as you've done before for however many copies you need....just treat it as a normal layer.....or look up 'Smart Objects' if you want to know more about them.

If you need to adjust 'her' then do it in 'her' PSD file.......when you save that file the current one will auto update....or any other PSD file that has it 'Linked' to it.

This way you only need to change the 'source' PSD file to affect the 'Target' PSD file.....regardless of how many copies there are.

Regards.
MrTom.

OliverGreen

Thanks Mr. Tom, but I that would mean I would have to re position all of those files again. Is there a way to do it where I can communicate to the program that I want all of those layers in those positions to be the new edited file?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In CS6, If you bring in the girl as a smart object, then duplicate, you can then choose any of the girls, double click which opens a .psb, make changes, save and the changes will take affect on all the girl SO layers.

MrToM

Guru
Not really no.

It wouldn't take that long to copy and position a few duplicates....and you already have a template to follow.

I'd say 5 mins max.....and that's allowing for going to the toilet.

Regards.
MrTom.

Blimey!!! I might have guessed you [Sam] would pop-up!....I could set my watch by you!

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You beat me to this one! I was experimenting!

MrToM

Guru
...you can then choose any of the girls, double click which opens a .psb...

Works in CC too.

Also, if you use 'Place Linked' the original PSD file opens rather than a generated PSB but the principle is the same.

Regards.
MrTom

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That options not available in CS6.

MrToM

Guru
You beat me to this one! I was experimenting!

You devil you!

I must admit I didn't know if double clicking an SO broke any links but it doesn't seem to.....it opens the original PSD (if its a linked PSD), and not a PSB....so I had to experiment too!

Looks like you only get a PSB if you created the SO in the actual file.....and not via Placing.

Could be wrong though.

Regards.
MrTom.

OliverGreen

Thank you for your help. I ended up just editing one of the layers and then command option dragging into place...once i had a few done I'd select multiples and do it. What is the advantage of creating the smart object?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Mr.T said:
Looks like you only get a PSB if you created the SO in the actual file.....and not via Placing.
Yeah, that's what I did.

I converted before and after the transfer of the girl into the working document. Both methods opened a .psb.

Your method works best in CC.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
...What is the advantage of creating the smart object?...

It solves the position you were in.

If you follow what I said it will create the smart object for you.
If you had 1 or 1000 duplicates then to change them all would only mean editing just the 1 'Linked' file and not the duplicates.
The file that had the 'Linked' image would auto update when you save the source file.

I hope you can see why that would be advantageous.

Regards.
MrTom.

MrToM

Guru
Yeah, that's what I did.

Sorry to hijack but Sam....if you 'place linked' a jpg or png and double click it does it open the original jpg / png or a PSB?
CC 2014 on Win 7 opens the original jpg / png.

Not tried it with a collapsed (multiple layered) SO but I guess that would be a PSB regardless?

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry Mr.T, I must have been editing my previous post when you asked.

In CS6, with multiple dupes of the girl as smart objects, you will get the .psb when you double click on any of them.