What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iamevilhomer

Hello

I recently saw a website with an image that had this kind of pixel/dot effect in which the photo seemed to have thousands of pixel type dots covering it. I have no idea how to explain it really and would love to show you but being new here I'm not allowed to post a link.

So I was wondering if anyone understands what I'm referring to (I realise it's a long shot) and if they could point me in the direction of a tutorial or something.

Cheers.

So it's the large image at the top with all the little dots. Just wondering how I'd best go about achieving that and if anyone knows the name of the effect or technique so I can look it up further.

Thanks.

Why didn't you just attach the image?
Nothing stopping you doing that.

Anyway, what you need is to make a custom pattern of dots and fill a layer with that pattern.....if you do black dots on a white background then a blending mode of 'Darken' or 'Darker color' will work....or maybe one of the others too....depends on the background.

Regards.
MrTom.

Thanks very much MrTom.

The reason I didn't attach the image is because I cannot save the image from that website. I did consider this.

No worries.

Search on how to make custom 'patterns' and that should do the trick.

Regards.
MrTom.

Thanks, Sam -- I had forgotten our discussion in the older thread in which we concluded it was a Wordpress theme (...or whatever they call it), but, as you point out, it could also be done without Wordpress.

Here is an example where I started with a snapshot I took on a family trip to NYC a couple of years ago.

IMG_5285_DxO_tif-acr-ps01d_sRGB_1230px_wide-8bpc-01_without_screen.jpg

Next, I constructed a pattern of light gray bars on a dark gray background (note: this is at a magnification of something like 500%, so the fine grid that can be seen is Photoshop's actual pixel grid) ...

grid_of_white_rectangles_on_pixel_level.jpg

Put the pattern above the image. I think I used soft light blending mode at about 60%, diddled a bit with the blendIF sliders, added a levels, and a hue/sat adjustment layer, and out comes this ...

IMG_5285_DxO_tif-acr-ps01d_sRGB_1230px_wide-8bpc-02b_with_half_tone_screen.jpg

If I was doing this for real, I also probably would have selectively decreased the visibility of the effect in certain areas of the image using a layer mask that I would paint black into.

HTH,

Tom M

Back