What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need help with extracting a specific part of an animated GIF.

Stran84

Until now, the method I have used for extracting specific parts from an animated GIF was through the use of the Quick selection tool and layer masks. I would select, on a frame by frame basis, the part I want to keep, refine the edges, then apply a layer mask to remove the remainder of the GIF.

So basically turning this:
tumblr_lfiqvjyRCq1qb6sfr.gif
into this:
stocking3.gif

However, my current GIF request isn't working out as easily. I am attempting to extract only the character on the right in this GIF:
yuru.gif

But the result is not what I was expecting:
kyoko.gif

I believe it is some kind of issue with the layer masks, but unfortunately I do not know much about layer masks other than using them to hide unwanted parts of images. How should I go about cleanly extracting this part of the gif? Thanks in advance.

Paul

Former Member
You will need to refine every single frames edges to remove the white edge colour, using a white background could help hide some anomalies but the main thing is white edge deletion.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I don't think it's the layer masks itself. Check you animation frame by frame. it looks as tho unneeded layers are visible in the animation frame timeline.

Post a screen shot of your frame by frame animation timeline as well as the layers of your gif so I can see the layers and its masks.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
dv8, I just downloaded the gif and opened it in Photoshop............is that what you mean?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Starting at frame 10..... the layer used in frame 9 is still visible and continues on down the line.....

I can't say whether it's caused by the layer masks but once hidden, the mask of the hidden layer shouldn't affect the visible active one.....

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Every layer has content from a previous layer.

Screen Shot 2014-12-19 at 12.08.51 AM.png

Stran84

dv8_fx,
I wasn't sure how much to include in the screenshot, so I stretched the animation window and the layer window as much as could fit on the screen. Please pardon the clutter, haha.
dAJtW.png

I checked each frame and it appeared that every layer was only visible for the corresponding frame. I did not see signs of unwanted layers being set to visible.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Which is why he has to check to make sure to hide the other layers in the current selected frame.

Hee's working with the file that has the frame timeline when it was originally created. Altering anything in the frames will alter/add elements to the timeline.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
OK that's weird.

Can you post a grab showing frame 12 selected and showing the layer section area with layer 12 selected in the pallete?

I'm using PS 7 Image Ready to view the ani. Looks like I have to fire up CS6 but it will slow things in my CPU.... lol.

Paul

Former Member
I see lots of white edges to single and multiple images on single layers, i cleaned away the duplicates and it still as issues of multiple images on single layers.

kyokodupli.gif

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Stran, how did you create the frames in your timeline?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
OK.... I've used masks before to hide uneeded elements in the image and it worked without a hitch. I wonder if your masks have anything to do with it.

If you don't mind...... Can you upload an edited version of the psd file - from frame 08/ layer 08 to frame 25/layer 25. This may entail you to delete all frames and layers before and after what I mentioned. Be careful not to save over the original file..... :cheesygrin:

Stran84

I see lots of white edges to single and multiple images on single layers, i cleaned away the duplicates and it still as issues of multiple images on single layers.

View attachment 51552

When I used the quick selection tool, the parts of the image selected did not leave such a large amount of empty space. I'm not sure why there is so much white space surrounding the selection.

IamSam,
I started with the original GIF I posted in the first post and I went frame by frame, selecting that character with the quick selection tool, refining the edges, applying the layer mask to the layer corresponding to that particular frame, and finally, used trim image at the end to delete the large amount of empty space that remained from removing the other three.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think I see what happened.......Layers and frames are separate.......when you masked the layers, did you also select the corresponding frame?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
When I used the quick selection tool, the parts of the image selected did not leave such a large amount of empty space. I'm not sure why there is so much white space surrounding the selection.

IamSam,
I started with the original GIF I posted in the first post and I went frame by frame, selecting that character with the quick selection tool, refining the edges, applying the layer mask to the layer corresponding to that particular frame, and finally, used trim image at the end to delete the large amount of empty space that remained from removing the other three.

This is a temporary fix until we figure out your problem. So you have to duplicate save your work so not to affect the original on.

Apply the mask to each layer .... right click the mask icond > Apply Mask ...... Then save for web as gif. See it this fixes it.

Stran84

OK.... I've used masks before to hide uneeded elements in the image and it worked without a hitch. I wonder if your masks have anything to do with it.

If you don't mind...... Can you upload an edited version of the psd file - from frame 08/ layer 08 to frame 25/layer 25. This may entail you to delete all frames and layers before and after what I mentioned. Be careful not to save over the original file..... :cheesygrin:

Sure. Here's a copy of the psd file with only frames 8-25 and layers 8-25 remaining.
I'll be signing off for the night after this, but I'll check the topic again the next day. Thanks for the help so far, everyone.

Attachments

• extractionedited.psd
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I think I see what happened.......Layers and frames are separate.......when you masked the layers, did you also select the corresponding frame?

Also a possiblity... but by the looks of it, everything seems in order. A close examination of the actual psd or a saved section of it might help.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Sure. Here's a copy of the psd file with only frames 8-25 and layers 8-25 remaining.
I'll be signing off for the night after this, but I'll check the topic again the next day. Thanks for the help so far, everyone.

I'll be signing off too to check on this, as CS with a gif, internet on and COREL DRAW running causes RAM problems for me....:cheesygrin: