What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My star ratings have disappeared!

Yvonne

Hi, I have recently started using Photoshop Elements and am currently importing my photos in the Organiser. I painstakingly went through and tagged/keyworded and gave star ratings to over two hundred photos the other day and it worked fine.

Then I signed up for Adobe Revel and synced those photos - and all my star ratings have disappeared. Is there a reason for this and has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.

I have no personal experience with Revel, but one way we might be able to help you is to spot check that one or two of your pix do indeed carry a star rating. Just post one or two & we can immediately check for u.

tom

FWIW, I did a bit of sleuthing around and discovered that as of 2 or 3 years ago, Revel only supported a very simplified star system -- either no star or one star -- that was it. Apparently, sometime in the last couple of years ago, Revel upgraded to a full 5 star system. Is it possible that you might be using an older version?

Tom M

IMG_0004 copy.jpg

Thanks Tom - I had given this image 4 stars - which says more about how I feel about my dog than the quality of the photo! I have just seen your second reply, I have only just signed up to Revel so I assume it is the latest version.

OK. Let me check it out. I'll get back to you in a few minutes. I am on my iPad and I have to fire up my real computer, LOL.

Tom

OK. I was able to download your image just fine. I can see what camera you used including its serial number, the settings on the camera, your name, etc. just fine. However, that file has no star rating, and it says that the last photo editing program that you used on it was iPhoto 9.5.1, so it looks like the changes you made in Elements never were incorporated into the photo you posted.

I don't use Elements, but if it's anything like Lightroom, one may have to "export" the image in order for such changes to "stick". You should look into this, or someone who is more familiar with Elements may come along and confirm this.

Regards,

Tom

PS - BTW, NICE dog!

Yup, after a bit of reading, I now strongly suspect that metadata (ie, like the number of stars) is stored separately in Elements' database and not with the file. This is exactly the same way that Organizer's big brother, Lightroom does it.

So, if you simply copy the original file from your drive, it won't have any of the changes that you made in Organizer (eg, stars, keywords, etc.) "baked in" because this information is, at this point, only available in Organizers DB.

Instead, export the file(s) that you want from Organizer into a new file (or group of files), and that version should incorporate all the work you did on them. You then can take these new files into Adobe Revel, and the star rating should show up.

BTW, you don't have to do this on a file-by-file basis. You can do a "batch" export. Here's a couple of tutorials on exporting:
http://helpx.adobe.com/elements-organizer/using/export-photos-folder.html
http://www.lynda.com/Elements-tutorials/Exporting-photos-from-Organizer/117104/121067-4.html

Why don't you test my theory on the photo of the dog that you have already posted. Do the export (as described above), and post the results (ie, the new file) here. I'll then check to see if the star rating is now incorporated. Don't forget to save the exported file in a new location and with a slightly different name so that it can easily be distinguished from the original.

HTH,

Tom M

PS - Not having either Elements or Revel on my computer, I'm working at a real disadvantage. Another possibility (that, unfortunately, I can't test) is that if Adobe Elements Organizer provides a direct "Export to Revel" tool, my guess is that it should automatically incorporate the stars and keywords that you added, but something else is wrong. Again, hopefully, someone with a new version of Elements and an account at Revil will come along and check out this possibility.

http://helpx.adobe.com/elements-organizer/using/revel.html

When u synched the photos in Organizer to Revel, did u use the above "export" procedure?

Tom

Last edited:
Thanks Tom - I will give these suggestions a try and have a look at the links next weekend. We are going away for a few days tomorrow and I will only have my iPad with me. I appreciate the time you have taken.

Have fun on your trip, Yvonne. When you get back, do let us know if the above suggestions helped.

Cheers,

Tom M

Morning Tom, up early before we go away so I thought I would give this some thought now I have a clear head (!). When I signed up to Revel I already had photos in my Elements Organizer and it synced to Revel automatically. In fact, it took me a bit by surprise because I expected to have to 'turn it on', in fact the next time I signed in to the Organizer, it just started syncing. When I look at my photos on Revel on my iPad, they don't have any keywords, tags or stars that I can see and they are not sorted into albums. When I look at the same photos in the Organizer, they have retained the albums, keywords and tags (and there is an additional tag, a cloud, which shows they are synced to Revel), but the Star ratings have disappeared. I can only assume that the syncing process somehow 'wiped' my star ratings - there is no other explanation.

Before I spend ages giving more photos star ratings, I will do some experimenting with just a couple of photos. I thought it was worth letting you know this in case anyone else asks the same question, if I come across any more info that might be useful, I will post it here.

Hi Yvonne - Thanks for the update. I'm really sorry that I don't use Elements and Revel, and because this sounds like some sort of interaction between the two, I can't be of much help.

It almost sounds like Adobe may be giving precedence to star ratings in Revel over star ratings that are in Organizer, but, to be honest, I would be astonished if Adobe would ever market a product that, by default, would destroy data (ie, your star ratings). For example, I use Lightroom (...the big brother of Elements Organizer) on a daily basis, and regularly export photos from it's version of Organizer to several different file sharing services, printing services, as well as to a private FTP site of my employer, and I have never encountered a glitch like this.

Since this involves two consumer grade Adobe products, you may need to ask the same question on one of Adobe's forums.

That being said, just to make sure that your star ratings really have been wiped out, and have not simply been temporarily hidden from view when Organizer is synched to Revel, why don't you try exporting the picture of your dog in the way I suggested above, and post the result here. We'll know in a minute if the star ratings are still there.

If you are already on holiday when you get this message, don't worry ... we can resume when you get back.

Cheers,

Tom M

Back