What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wrap a 3d solid in a paint scheme.

MrToM

Guru
Thanks but I have to think of my 'racing snake' figure!

Regards.
MrSlim.

Ramsus42

Wow guys, thank you very much for all the thinking.
Right now I'm at the Ikea, waiting for my girlfriend to finish:p will reply in half a hour. Ps, the model is 3d. It's a complete solid. I will draw something very simple, mayby we can go from There?

Ramsus42

Hi Dv8, I’m really sorry, but I can’t do this. It’s not that I not thrust you, but it’s more the visitors that will read this too.
I will draw a very simple wing with some double dihedral in it, and so do the tail. Maybyw e can go from there. Jup, it’s just like you saying with the dome.
I don’t know if solidworks can do that. I’m not an expert of solid works. I can work with it, I can draw things, assemble them and make them look nice but that’s it. I wished there was a button so that it can make it flat. I can’t export them to a DXF because of the complexticity. I think.

It could help give us a better idea of what needs to be done if you can upload the top, close up perspective view of your model's wings.....

I seem to have an idea of what you're saying.

If you simply lay an image over it, the stencil will fall short. What you may need to do is to get the total dimensions of the wings in terms of total area taking into consideration the curvature and dihedral or anhedral angle of wings and tail fins.

It's like putting a color strip on a dome shape. If you simply place a strip on the dome's 2D top view and use that to create a long giant sticker to fit over the dome, you will fall short. But if you measure the total diameter of the dome, then use the dimensions to create a flat plane template, this will give an idea of how long the color strip need to be in order to fit the dome's curvature edge to edge.

Same goes with the dihedral angle of the wings or tailfin - from the model plane's fuselage body to the wing/tailfin outer edge. I'm sure there has to be a slight curvature towards the edge somewhere. Or even a slight curvature starting from the fuselage....

I might be wrong but maybe your CAD (SolidWorks) application can create a flat 2D template for your model?

Thanks! Verrryy interesting, buit still it isn’t the way to go for I think? With keyshot, I managed to automaticly put a photo on the model like a texture, But it was all over the place, not on one part, of sight.
JUST BACKING UP WHAT MRTOM HAS ALREADY STATED!

What your wanting is called 3D UV mapping.

Your 3D model needs to be unwrapped and the texture (feathers) need to be applied to the unwrapped model airplane. This will now become the 2D texture map that will be printed and applied to the finished model.

[video=youtube;iIvTUDgaXik]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIvTUDgaXik[/video][/QUOTE]

I wish I could uploads my drawing. It would make life so much easyerL….. I will draw something, mayby we can go from there?
I said that too.....I even offered to do it for them but its not a viable option.

Regards.
MrTom.

Thanks again, jups, that what I want. Yes, I want to make a stencil or template. It will become the skin of the model. On this skin is a feather print. Later on, the skin, or hydrographic print will be water transferred on to the model. It need to be a 1:1 fit.
I might be wrong with what the OP wants.... UV Mapping for a 3D model is one thing but the OP mentioned he wants to create a STENCIL for use on an actual hand-made foam plane model. ....

@Ramsus42 ... what are your plans? Printing a full color wing design decal or airbrushing a one-color wing design using a stencil?

Yeah, I’m sorry, my English is not always correctly. Sorry, template or stencil, I need to google this. Haha. Luckly you know now what I meanJ. Tommorow I don’t have acces to my computer but I will draw something simple, mayby we can go from there?

Yeah....the one leads into the other.
By 'stencil' he means a template, with which he can use for the cutting of the hydrofilm.

Unwrapping the 3D model serves two purposes:

1. You get to see what the finished product will look like....from any angle.
2. The process creates a 'flat' template which can be used to cut the actual film.

There's little anyone can do physically for the OP as they cannot release the model nor the images, which is totally understandable.

That only leaves a rather disappointing and not very helpful answer of 'Go Google Unwrapping'.
If the OP decides to do this themselves then I'm sure we can help with learning the process, otherwise I'm not sure what else can be done.

Regards.
MrTom.
After all the time I spent on the computer, it was easyer to take all the messurements and do it like that. But hey, life would be to easy then.. GrrL.. Later, we will have more models, so I really need to get this to work like that. I hope I will learn it now..Thanks for all the patience.
Yeah, it’s a 3d model. You can look around it everywere you want.
With “give it a try in your modelling software” you mean I need to look if I can make a template out of it? Damn, now I need to go to the solidworks forum. Haha.. No problem, if that’s the thing I need to do I’ll go for it offcourse.

OK.....

I did something like this a year ago for a scale model airplane. It was created in 3d space.

But in my case, the template for the stencil was created after the plane's wings and tail fin were fabricated. In this way we were able to take accurate measurements in order to create the flat plane template.

MrTom's and IamSam's suggestion may also work. But you will have to give it a try in your modelling software.

It is a 3D model, is it? Because if not, it's a different ball game alltogether , again.........

I hope this will clear things up. We have the model in the computer. You can look around it and see what it will looks like. We have the prototypes flying. All I need to do is the finishing touch.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ramsus42 said:
Thanks again, jups, that what I want. Yes, I want to make a stencil or template. It will become the skin of the model. On this skin is a feather print. Later on, the skin, or hydrographic print will be water transferred on to the model. It need to be a 1:1 fit.
Your 3D model needs to be unwrapped in a capable program and the texture (feathers) needs to be applied to the unwrapped model airplane. This will now become the 2D texture map (stencil/template) that will become the hydrographic print and applied (water transfer) to the finished model.