What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wrap a 3d solid in a paint scheme.

Ramsus42

Hi!

My name is Remy, 26 years and I live in Holland. I'm beginner in Photoshop and can only do some simple things in Photoshop like photo editting ( remove object, colour correction etc) Or make simple folders.
Now I have something completly different and I dont know how to start so I really apreciate if someone can help me.

I have drawed a complete Model airplane in solidworks. I will build it out of foam but for this model I also want to order a hydrofilm in featherprint to cover the complete model in a feather print.

Because the featherprint need to match exactly with the shape of the foam it's important for me to have the film 100% good, so that the feathers will match the shape of the foam.

I have all the views from the model. I have some photos of the feather prints. I want to match the featherprint with the model in 1:1 dimensions.

How do I start? Do I need to make a PDF or DXF from the vieuws, so I can puth the photo over it and correct the photo according to the lining?

Thank very much in advance. I really apreciate some help or some directions I need to go.

(ps, the wingspan of the model is 140cm or 55")

MrToM

Guru
Hi Ramsus42,

I completely understand your ultimate goal here but what exactly is it you need to achieve at this stage of the process?

Do you just want to place the 'feathers' on the model to see what it looks like...using the images you have and Photoshop OR are you wanting to unwrap the model, lay out your UV's and create a UV template so that you can both see the film applied to the model and also be able to calculate how much 'feather' film to order?

Or is it something else?

Regards.
MrTom.

Ramsus42

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your responds, I really apreciate.
I'm sorry that i'm not really clear. Yes, I need to have both things. First of all I want to see how it looks like. So I want to put the featherprint on to the 3D model so I can see how it looks like. It's not really neccesary to look around the whole model, if I can see the top and side view i'm already happy.
Then, if I put the featherprint on it, I want to be able to remove the featherprint so that it's my "stencil" . I will send this stencil to the factory so that the can make some prints. When I receive the prints, it's just an 1 on 1 fit.

I need this more often in the future so therefore i'm trying to find a way to simply do this. I will keep in mind that you need a really big photo for a 140cm wing to have it still sharp, but that's a second thing. First I want to have the top side of the model, covered in a featherprint.

Thanks!

MrToM

Guru
Hi Remy,

No apologies needed, I just needed confirmation on what you are trying to do....the two processes are very different.

From what you've said I'd go the second route and concentrate on mapping the print to the model.
Once you've done this you'll be able to 'see' what it looks like anyway and means you only need to do one thing instead of two.
You'll have to do this anyway for your template so to me it makes sense to put your time into getting that image on your model.

You'll probably need to use Photoshop initially but not in a complex way as in trying to get one image 'fit' around another but in a more simple 2D way just to get the pattern ready for applying to the model.

Of course if you want to still try and get some images using PS then posting the images here will make it easier for someone to guide you through the process.....if its possible....which is another reason to see the images in question.

Now, I don't use Solidworks but a quick look around Youtube seems to suggest that a third party plugin is required for unwrapping.
If you have that plugin then you should have no trouble finding a tutorial on how to use it.
If not then I'm not sure if its possible to do what you need....unless you know for sure it is.

On a more positive note I have also found that 3dsmax, the 3D program that I use, can import models from Solidworks so if you need this done quickly I could possibly do something for you.....even if it's just some pretty pics of how it will look.

According to THIS site I would need you to supply either a .Igs, .step, .stp, .sat or .slt file....and of course your 'feather' image.
I have no idea what the difference is between those file formats or if one is preferable other the others...I've never imported anything from Solidworks before.....maybe having all of them would be the best approach?

If that's not a possibility then I really don't know what else to suggest.....apart from search around for a way to do it....yeah, I know that's why you asked here but 3D is not the premier app and those of us that do use 3D apps tend not to be Solidworks users....those I know anyway.

So, the offer of help is there if you need it.....I know it wont teach you how to do it yourself but it may be helpful to have 'something' at which to aim at.....if nothing else....and may also give you some time to find how its done in Solidworks.

Sorry I can't be of any more help than that.....I'll leave it with you.

Regards.
MrTom.

Ramsus42

Hi Tom,

Thank you very much for your respond! The thing for not being to clear is a follow: I am busy with a proto rc model airplane wich is ready for production. This product will get a Hydrographic photo finish on top of it. Because I want to make this airplane look like a bird a need a feather print on top of it. I have some photo's of the bird, and I have the 3d solid. I want to place the featherprint on the model. And if i'm succeeded, i want to "remove" the solid, so that i left over with the stencil.
Because i need to keep this solid myself ( working with some other people too) I simply can;t send it:*( To bad because I really apreciate any help. I hate it but we need to.

Do you mayby know for what program I need to look for? Or what to type in in youtube? I'm searching my but off, but can't really find the thing i'm looking for because I don't know the "terms" in english.
What is the plugin for photoshop you are aiming about?

I really apreciate the time you put into your reply's and even offer your help! I can draw just a simple straight wing and send you a picture from a bird?

MrToM

Guru
Hi Remy,

I'm aware of what you are trying to do.

With so many limitations though there is little more I can do for you.
Without the model nor images it would be very difficult to instruct you on either of the processes mentioned before.

Therefore it would be best for you to search for a more 'visual' example similar to your project.
As I said before I'm not convinced that you can actually accomplish what you want to do in Solidworks without a third party plugin....but I may be wrong....I don't know for sure.

The process you need to do is called "Unwrapping" or "UV Layout" or "Development" or "Unfold".

Here is a starting point for you...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=solidworks+unwrapping

I'd like to give you a more productive answer than just point you to a video but under the circumstances its about all I can offer for that.

If you need help with the PS side of things then attach your images in your next post with a description of what you want to do with them....we can then go from there.

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Something this simple?

I only did the wings
Screen Shot 2015-01-03 at 9.19.48 AM.png

This would be the hydrofilm template.
Screen Shot 2015-01-03 at 9.23.53 AM.png

You would have to use displacement mapping on the fuselage.

Ramsus42

Hi IamSam,

Ahh thank you very much that's exactly what I mean!! I'm sorry for my late reply.
But there are a few more things I need to know. Is this featherprint stencil a flat stencil? The hardest thing is that my tail has a slight V-shape. So if I take the topview of the plane and I put a photo over it, then my stencil would be to small. It needs to follow the curves.
The plane in your picture has dihedral in his wing. If I use the stencil then it will be to small.

Or does it follow the curves?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
It could help give us a better idea of what needs to be done if you can upload the top, close up perspective view of your model's wings.....

I seem to have an idea of what you're saying.

If you simply lay an image over it, the stencil will fall short. What you may need to do is to get the total dimensions of the wings in terms of total area taking into consideration the curvature and dihedral or anhedral angle of wings and tail fins.

It's like putting a color strip on a dome shape. If you simply place a strip on the dome's 2D top view and use that to create a long giant sticker to fit over the dome, you will fall short. But if you measure the total diameter of the dome, then use the dimensions to create a flat plane template, this will give an idea of how long the color strip need to be in order to fit the dome's curvature edge to edge.

Same goes with the dihedral angle of the wings or tailfin - from the model plane's fuselage body to the wing/tailfin outer edge. I'm sure there has to be a slight curvature towards the edge somewhere. Or even a slight curvature starting from the fuselage....

I might be wrong but maybe your CAD (SolidWorks) application can create a flat 2D template for your model?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
JUST BACKING UP WHAT MRTOM HAS ALREADY STATED!

What your wanting is called 3D UV mapping.

Your 3D model needs to be unwrapped and the texture (feathers) need to be applied to the unwrapped model airplane. This will now become the 2D texture map that will be printed and applied to the finished model.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I said that too.....I even offered to do it for them but its not a viable option.

Regards.
MrTom.

Yeah sorry. I really did forget to add that I was backing you up. I'm trying to get ready to go to work and I'm rushing.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I might be wrong with what the OP wants.... UV Mapping for a 3D model is one thing but the OP mentioned he wants to create a STENCIL for use on an actual hand-made foam plane model. ....

@Ramsus42 ... what are your plans? Printing a full color wing design decal or airbrushing a one-color wing design using a stencil?

Ramsus42

Thanks for all the help People.

True! Want to send the stencil to a hydrographic company worden printing and cutting the film. It needs to be like this because otherwise the ends of the flaters will not match the shape of the molded model.

I might be wrong with what the OP wants.... UV Mapping for a 3D model is one thing but the OP mentioned he wants to create a STENCIL for use on an actual hand-made foam plane model. ....

@Ramsus42 ... what are your plans? Printing a full color wing design decal or airbrushing a one-color wing design using a stencil?

MrToM

Guru
...the OP mentioned he wants to create a STENCIL for use on an actual hand-made foam plane model...
Yeah....the one leads into the other.
By 'stencil' he means a template, with which he can use for the cutting of the hydrofilm.

Unwrapping the 3D model serves two purposes:

1. You get to see what the finished product will look like....from any angle.
2. The process creates a 'flat' template which can be used to cut the actual film.

There's little anyone can do physically for the OP as they cannot release the model nor the images, which is totally understandable.

That only leaves a rather disappointing and not very helpful answer of 'Go Google Unwrapping'.
If the OP decides to do this themselves then I'm sure we can help with learning the process, otherwise I'm not sure what else can be done.

Regards.
MrTom.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
OK.....

I did something like this a year ago for a scale model airplane. It was created in 3d space.

But in my case, the template for the stencil was created after the plane's wings and tail fin were fabricated. In this way we were able to take accurate measurements in order to create the flat plane template.

MrTom's and IamSam's suggestion may also work. But you will have to give it a try in your modelling software.

It is a 3D model, is it? Because if not, it's a different ball game alltogether , again.........

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Yeah....the one leads into the other.
By 'stencil' he means a template, with which he can use for the cutting of the hydrofilm.

Unwrapping the 3D model serves two purposes:

1. You get to see what the finished product will look like....from any angle.
2. The process creates a 'flat' template which can be used to cut the actual film.

There's little anyone can do physically for the OP as they cannot release the model nor the images, which is totally understandable.

That only leaves a rather disappointing and not very helpful answer of 'Go Google Unwrapping'.
If the OP decides to do this themselves then I'm sure we can help with learning the process, otherwise I'm not sure what else can be done.

Regards.
MrTom.

Your suggestion also works but there's a slight problem and this depends on how the 3d application treats or outputs a texture template.

Which is why I ask the OP whether his 3d application he uses can create a 3d model texture template.

@Ramsus42 If not, you might need to convert the 3d model into a flat template using UV Mapping software. Like this one.... http://www.uvmapper.com/

MrToM

Guru
We've already been through this mate......the OP used Solidworks to create the model.

Unfortunately Solidworks has no ability to 'Unwrap' models without a third party plugin. (Its more a 'sheet metalwork' program)

I have already informed the OP of this and so it really is now down to them as to their next course of action.

If they buy the plugin then I'm sure we can help with the 'Unwrapping' workflow as it may be completely alien to them.....otherwise we are at that 'rock and a hard place' situation.

I really don't know what else to suggest.

Regards.
MrTom.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I agree.... We both know he created it in Solidworks. I'm just in need of more info from him....

My next question was - 3D or 2D ? ....... "I have drawed a complete Model airplane in solidworks." Did he mean - schematics? or 3D model?

MrToM

Guru
...It's not really neccesary to look around the whole model, if I can see the top and side view i'm already happy...
That would seem to suggest its 3D wouldn't it?

Its not 100% clear, granted.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see eh?

Regards.
MrTom.