What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop vs. GIMP

benjaminjones

Hi, I am a total newbie to photo editing. As such, I don't have a lot of money to invest in photo editing software. Basically, I just need to be able to create and edit photos for my website, like thumbnails, header images, etc. Since GIMP is a free photo editing software, would it suit my needs? I had a bad experience with it in the past but that was on an old desktop. It loaded way too slow and often froze. Now that I have a new laptop I am wondering if I would have the same issues with GIMP. It is a refurbished HP Pavilion. What are your thoughts- GIMP or put the money on Photoshop? Thank you.

Hey Benjamin! Welcome to the Forums,

GIMP is an excellent place to start if you can't fish out lord knows how much these days on a Photoshop package, and if you've got a new laptop you shouldn't have too much of a bad time with it, I've rarely had problems with GIMP in the past, it was once my primary image manipulation tool, it's a little tough to get used to at first, but it is pretty powerful and probably the best free image manipulation program you can get. It's probably changed since the last time you used it, but if you need any help, I'm sure I'll still have some knowledge on how to use it so I could probably give you a hand.

however, it's worth noting that there are other alternatives to GIMP and to Photoshop at a fraction of the price, or even free.

Check out our Free/Cheap Alternatives To Photoshop thread, and you'll get some really great ideas as to alternatives that might do exactly what you want better than GIMP, but not to the price of Photoshop creative suite or creative cloud.

'GIMP is an excellent place to start if you can't fish out lord knows how much these days on a Photoshop package'

Today Adobe rents software via a Creative Cloud subscription. If you just need Photoshop, they have a Photographer's package that includes the newest version of Photoshop and Lightroom for $9.95 a month. Used to be to put that software on your computer would ruin a $1000.00. I personally subscribe to the whole package which is $600 a YEAR. Used to be that PS alone was that much plus you had to pay for upgrades. With CC the upgrades are included and you get them delivered as soon as they become available.
https://creative.adobe.com/plans/photography

Hi, I am a total newbie to photo editing. As such, I don't have a lot of money to invest in photo editing software. Basically, I just need to be able to create and edit photos for my website, like thumbnails, header images, etc. Since GIMP is a free photo editing software, would it suit my needs? I had a bad experience with it in the past but that was on an old desktop. It loaded way too slow and often froze. Now that I have a new laptop I am wondering if I would have the same issues with GIMP. It is a refurbished HP Pavilion. What are your thoughts- GIMP or put the money on Photoshop? Thank you.

Check out the link what zeelaex moderator has shared.

Also check out https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...hop-new-users-please-read.html#post1533698833

In short as per my experience, i am also facing the same problem as you are facing, but my search of getting best alternative to photoshop came to end on this forum .

My conclusion after the search

Dekstop version of alternative to Photoshop GIMP
Browser based Version Of Photo shop Online Free Toolpic

Last edited by a moderator:
Zeealex thanks for that link, I found some programs that might fit my needs. I also found some other free web-based editors, however I prefer to have a desktop application so I can edit photos even when I am not near WiFi.

Back