What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transforming a drawing to a Photoshop picture

cartoonbob

Well the title pretty much says it all. I am not "new" to Photoshop but I am very much un experienced with it. was wondering how to make this picture on photoshop, do I trace it? or do I just free draw while looking at? and how do I go about doing it. like what tool do I use and how do i use the tool.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey,

There are a few ways to do this. It mainly depends on what you intend to do with it.

For me, if I were going to use Ps to paint this image, I would scan the image and then open it into Ps. I would then create a new layer and use the Brush Tool to trace the drawing. Or, you could just use the scanned image as the reference for your painting.

Last edited:

cartoonbob

im more looking to just learn to trace any image actually, not just drawings, so I can help my friends make things for fun or just me make stuff for fun. and eventually make stuff for this forum as a freelancer. I know that's a long shot and I have a long way to go but this is a small step close to it. watched a vid eo on youtube and it said to use the pen tool. when I tried that I couldnt get it to work properly or in the way I wanted the picture to be. so i was wondering if this the right tool or is there and easier method.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK. If scanning the image is not an option, then your best bet will be the Brush Tool. Just re-draw the hawk/eagle in Ps. It's going to be much easier with a tablet.

Zain Khan

Banned
The best thing or the best way you can achieve this is by using a pen tool. I always use a pen tool and trace it. Let me explain :)
1. Use a pentool and draw paths along your drawing.
2. Then after that, right click on the path that you drew. Select stroke path,
3. make sure you select brush from the option
and you will get the result as you desire.If Any questions ask me :)

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
The best thing or the best way you can achieve this is by using a pen tool. I always use a pen tool and trace it. Let me explain :)
1. Use a pentool and draw paths along your drawing.
2. Then after that, right click on the path that you drew. Select stroke path,
3. make sure you select brush from the option
and you will get the result as you desire.If Any questions ask me :)

The pen tool would be the tool to use for tracing. However, it does have a learning curve and I suggest you have a through understanding of how it works before you get frustrated with it.
Comment on "3. make sure you select brush from the option" - you need to set the brush SIZE before invoking it to stroke the path. If you don't, you most likely will NOT get the result you desire. The brush size that was set prior will be used. For something like the eagle head I would say about 3px would be about right.

Zain Khan

Banned
Yes I always use pentool for my projects because I have done a lot and a lot of pentool stuff so yes, pen-tool is frustrating for sure :D

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
cartoonbob said:
watched a vid eo on youtube and it said to use the pen tool. when I tried that I couldnt get it to work properly or in the way I wanted the picture to be. so i was wondering if this the right tool or is there and easier method.

I realize the frustrations with the Pen tool, but until you have the opportunity to learn the Pen Tool..............the Brush Tool will work well for this project.

Last edited:

ALB68

I realize the frustrations with the Pen tool, but until you have the opportunity to learn the Pen Tool..............the Brush Tool will work well for this project.

"im more looking to just learn to trace any image actually, not just drawings" You can "trace" with a brush I suppose but would be a freehand operation more so than the pen. Maybe a matter of definition.

Last edited:

cartoonbob

Ok so pretty much the best way is to start is with the brush and then learn the pen tool and when I get better with the pen tool, switch over to that? So to further that. What is your guys' best preference on learning the pen tool. Watching videos or just doing by yourself and eventually getting the hang of it?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Watching video tutes is good as you get to see the moves.

But nothing will replace constant hands on use of the tool. You get to know how it behaves and responds to whatever which way tweeking you subject it to.

I have to admit that Photoshop's Pentool reacts differently compared to the pen tool of other graphic applications. I had a hard time getting used to it at first.

Nowadays, I have a new problem ..... With out realising it, I'd be using the pentool in other applications as if I were using the PS Pen tool and I'd go - "Why is this pen reacting weird today?"..... lol.

cartoonbob

Lol, I geuss it just comes down to how much time I spend on it. It will take time but I can learn it. Thankyou everyone for the help.

ALB68

Ok so pretty much the best way is to start is with the brush and then learn the pen tool and when I get better with the pen tool, switch over to that? So to further that. What is your guys' best preference on learning the pen tool. Watching videos or just doing by yourself and eventually getting the hang of it?

As you progress, you will develop your own methodology. I notice that you do in fact have freehand drawing ability. Many users do not. You may find that your creativity is better served with the brushes as IamSam (an artist by the way) has said. So to say that you will "switch over" is going to end up being your choice. You will find, in the end, that the pen serves it's purpose as well as the brushes serve their's.

cartoonbob

So since I could use my freedraw ability, would a tablet be the best way to go? And if so what is the best tablet. I have seen tablets in the $1000+ range but I have also seen tablets $100 and below and I would like to find one in that range. I found one called the Aiptek Slim Tablet 600U it's about $80 and I have seen reviews saying it's good. Would that be the way to go?

ALB68

So since I could use my freedraw ability, would a tablet be the best way to go? And if so what is the best tablet. I have seen tablets in the $1000+ range but I have also seen tablets $100 and below and I would like to find one in that range. I found one called the Aiptek Slim Tablet 600U it's about $80 and I have seen reviews saying it's good. Would that be the way to go?

I have been using graphics tablets for years. There was a time when Wacom was about the only game in town. Now we have all the imported "wannabees". Prior to the current tablet I have, I had a Wacom Bamboo. It was an OK tablet but was lacking in pressure settings, It also had a very aggravating feature (at least to me) the activation for the touch feature was located on a button that was very easy to activate accidentally. I don't use touch very much and I would be working and finding all of a sudden I was in touch mode. The Bamboo finally died. It had, in my opinion a very fragile connection interface and eventually failed. So, I too, as everyone is from time to time was short on bucks, so I buy one of the cheapies, this one was a Turcom brand. Again, was OK for the most part but the driver sucked. I even got a newer one from China from the people that made it. It sucked too, I would be working and all of a sudden the tablet would just quit. I finally got fed up with it and at Christmas I purchased a real tablet..the Wacom Intuos Pro -medium size..$309.00. I can't say enough good things about it.

As to the tablet you spoke of, I read a couple of the reviews on Amazon and the first reviewer said an OK tablet, but he would actually recommend not buying it. The big player in the business is Wacom, so probably shop and compare their different models and for a few more dollars you can get one that actually works well.

cartoonbob

Ok so pretty much right now the best way to go is save the money and go for the quality. So as im saving up I'll just use my mouse and get well versed with the brush tool then. Well Thankyou again for the help and if I have anymore questions I will post.