What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CS5 Rectangular Marquee Tool

Rod

If I use the rectangular marquee tool to select part of a photograph, then use the move tool it just moves the part of the picture within the box.

I want to first move the box to another part of the picture then select it afterwards.

The reason for this is that I might have got the box in slightly the wrong place on the picture when drawing the box.

Perhaps I'm going about this in the wrong way !!

Any suggestions appreciated.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
After you make the selection, hit Cmd/Cnrtl + J to duplicate the selection to it's own layer. Then you can move it anywhere you like.

MrToM

Guru
Whilst creating the marquee HOLD down the Spacebar.....you can then drag the whole marquee, without resizing, to wherever you want.
Release the Spacebar to continue creating the marquee.

You can use a combination of 'Shift', 'Alt' and 'Spacebar' when dragging out a marquee to constrain, draw from center and move it respectively.

If you want to move the marquee after creation, make sure the rectangular marquee tool is selected, move your cursor inside the marquee (The cursor should change to have a 'box' on it) then click and drag the marquee to its position.

Most of the time its easier to drag out guide lines to the exact boundaries you want....then with 'Snap' enabled drag out the marquee from top left to bottom right.....it should snap to the guides therefore removing the need to later move it.

Regards.
MrTom.

Rod

Sorry gents, I am a newbie !

I've tried both of the suggestions and it doesn't do what I want.

Let me explain again.

I open a photograph and want to use only part of it.
I use the rectangular marquee tool to select the part I want
I then find I've got the box say to far to the left, and want to move it.
If I use the Move Tool it just moves what I've got selected in the box.
How can I move the box I've drawn on the picture without moving the section of the picture inside the box as well?

Thanks

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Hi there....

Just make sure to keep the Selection/ Marquee tool selected in the menu. This way you can nudge it or even drag it to where you want it.

If you change/ select another tool, say to the pointer(move) tool, it will move the image in the selection area.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
While using the Rectangular Marquis Tool, while you are holding the mouse click, hold down the spacebar..........this allows you to move the selection. Once you have let go of the mouse click and the selection is still active (marching ants), go to SELECT > TRANSFORM SELECTION to alter or move the selection.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Select/ Transform Selection. You can then move it with your arrow keys on the keyboard.

Rod

Sorry, it doesn't.

If I keep it selected and try to move the box it just draws another box inside the one I've already drawn?

I'm on CS5, maybe I've got another setting incorrect?

MrToM

Guru
...How can I move the box I've drawn on the picture without moving the section of the picture inside the box as well?...

Maybe you missed this part of my first post...?

...If you want to move the marquee after creation, make sure the rectangular marquee tool is selected...

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think the problem is what MrT stated, your switching to the move tool.

Rod

I'm doing exactly as suggested, but....................

The 'use the nudge arrow keys' selection works !!

Thanks everyone

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I think the problem is what MrT stated, your switching to the move tool.

IamSam .... I don't have my PS or CS installed yet but can you check the selection settings menu? I think Rod has the intersect with? (or something to that effect) option selected. Which is why when he drags the selection it creates another selection......

Hoping that's the reason for his troubles...

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK your right dv8, any other setting will not allow you to move the selection with the mouse. Make sure you have the new selection chosen.....

Screen Shot 2015-01-07 at 12.10.59 PM.png

I always forget about these options because I leave the tool set to 'new selection' all the time. I use keyboard shortcuts to to change the selection behavior.

Shift key adds to the selection.
Alt/Option key subtracts from the selection.
Shift + Alt/Option intersects with the selection.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
I'm doing exactly as suggested..
...If I use the Move Tool it just moves what I've got selected in the box...

Well I never suggested using the 'Move' tool so you can't be following my suggestions.
As dv8 has pointed out, also make sure you have 'New selection' selected before attempting to move.....in fact make sure thats selected before making ANY selection at all.

Regards.
MrTom.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Thanks guys.... :cheesygrin:

I better get all this reformatting and installing done pronto...... :banghead:. I'm using a spare backup computer for internet use and simple document works at the moment.

MrToM

Guru
I guess my solution to the original problem way back in post #3 really sucked then. :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrWho?