What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Car Wheel image/edting

efiste2

Apologies if this is a common question, I would like to use my Photoshop Elements 6 program to see what a new set of fancy alloy wheels would look like on my car.
I have a side on picture of my car and a picture of the wheels I would like to purchase. So I need to know how to crop/capture the circular shape of the wheel, and then apply it to the picture of my car with acceptable results.
Whilst not a total lamen to Photoshop, Im useless at cropping images that are anything other than rectagular........So any advice you expert chaps can provide is very much appreciated. :cheesygrin:

MrToM

Guru
Well if you know what to do with rectangular selections then just do the same but with a circular one.

1. With your 'wheels' on a layer above your 'Car' use the 'Eliptical Marquee Tool' to draw around the wheel.
2. Add a layer mask.
3. [OPTIONAL]:
Duplicate the 'wheels' layer and turn off visibility.
Select the original 'wheels' layer and apply the mask.
(This enables you to do step 4 easier, but you lose the mask....the 'duplicate' is your backup)
4. Use CTRL + T to enter transform mode and adjust the size to fit over your existing wheels.

That's about it really...if you just want a 'quick' look and not a masterpiece.

You could of course go much further with masking....depends on to what degree you want to go.

Regards.
MrTom.

MrToM

Guru
No worries....

Layer Mask:
Once you have a marquee click on the 'Add Layer Mask' icon at the bottom of the Layers panel.....its the THIRD icon from the left.

The MASK is selectable independently from the pixels so make sure that the right one is selected before doing work on it......its very easy to paint on the mask when you really wanted to paint on the pixels.
Note the CORNERS of the thumbnails......the ACTIVE (selected) one has brackets on each corner.

Remember, for masks...
BLACK = HIDE the pixels.
WHITE = SHOW the pixels.
GREY = proportional opacity.

Regards.
MrTom.

efiste2

Sorted thanks SO MUCH for your assistance, can I ask how would I grab an irregular shaped image, such as a persons head etc etc.

Shed 1ab.jpg

MrToM

Guru
...can I ask how would I grab an irregular shaped image, such as a persons head etc etc...
Sure....have you got a few years to spare?

On a serious note there are MANY MANY ways to do that and which way really depends on the content of the image.

There is no 'right' way to do it, its a case of using the best one at the time for a specific image.....the same technique will work great for one image but really suck with another.......it comes down to knowing more than one way and using the right way to get the results.

You're best bet is to search for video tutorials on masking......you won't find it hard its a hot topic!
Tools used could be:
Lasso
Polygon Lasso
Elipse
Rectangular
Pen
Path
Shape
Quick Mask (Painting with brush tool)

Check for tutorials on those tools too.

Watch a few of those and you'll soon see the many different ways that different people do things......store that in the old memory bank and remember it for when you need to do it yourself.

You're halfway there already....you now know had to 'Add' a mask with a selection, but you can also paint on that mask too....or paste in some other greyscale image.....or use the channels.....etc etc....lots and LOTS of stuff.

Its way too much to explain here.

Regards.
MrTom.

MikeMc

McGuru
"quick mask" is not in elements...until PSE11 ? ...no biggie though

Easy enough though, make a black or white mask layer, paint with the brush tool set to Black or White...

MrToM

Guru
..."quick mask" is not in elements...until PSE11 ?...
Thanks MikeMc, I forgot the OP used a version of 'Elements'.....not that it mattered as I didn't know Elements 6 didn't have Quick Mask anyway......:shocked:

Regards.
MrTom.

MikeMc

McGuru
Thanks MikeMc, I forgot the OP used a version of 'Elements'.....not that it mattered as I didn't know Elements 6 didn't have Quick Mask anyway......:shocked:

Regards.
MrTom.

I had a copy of elements on the "home" computer....good for playing...useless if you need to do some real PS work flow.

I googled to see when it did appear.