What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to shade like this?

ydde

Hello guys, I'm quite new to photoshop so forgive me if this might look stupid to you. I really like Ruben Ireland's works (google him if you don't know him yet, I can't post links since I'm new XD ) and I'd like to make art like his. And I really like his shading. Can anyone help me how to shade like that in photoshp? Cuz when I use a gradient, it can only shade in a straight line. Here's an example of Ruben's work:

1399485_537347413009748_1082413733_o.jpg

Here you can see how the eye shadow is shaded. The coser to the eye the darker it gets. How do I shade like this? And if anyone know a complete tutorial in making art like this in photoshop please let me know. Thanks in advance! :cheesygrin:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

I would guess that many here are familiar with Ireland's works, at least I am.

The problem here is that there is a lot of effects going on in his works. You may need to be much more specific about what it is that your asking about.

However, if your referring to the eye itself, here is one way to do it..........

Make a selection around the eye with your Pen Tool.

Screen Shot 2015-01-17 at 8.21.10 AM.png

Refine the selection and feather.
Then use your Brush Tool to add the shading.

Screen Shot 2015-01-17 at 8.20.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-01-17 at 8.20.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-01-17 at 8.43.15 AM.png

Last edited:

ydde

Thank you very much this is what I was actually thinking. Just a simple brush. I forgot that I can change the brush settings. Thank you so much. Sorry for the silly thread XD btw what kind of art is this? What kind of tutorials should I focus on if I wanna make something like Ruben's works? And really, thank you!!!!

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
You might also try the Burn tool. You may have better control.
shading.PNG

ydde

Thank you for the answers. I tried many possible ways on how to make it and many thanks to you guys I finally had an idea. It doesn't look as good as Ruben's but I thought I'd show my work to the ones who helped me to show my appreciation. Thank you :D

scods.JPG

It's not yet finished cause it'll take me some time to pick the right texture for some parts XD. I just wanna thank you for helping me. Please keep doing what you do. You inspire people :D

Attachments

• scods.JPG
    scods.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited: