What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I get this effect?

pinkolik

Hello. Could you please tell me how do I make my pictures look like this one. I mean old.
tumblr_n0sshe29mL1slyto2o1_500.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
Do you mean the purple glow, the rectangular grid shown in a perspective view, the funky looking monitor and keyboard, or something else?

How experienced are you in Photoshop? "I just installed it", "I've used it a few times", "I use it for lots of my photos, but never for something like this"?

Which version of Photoshop do you have? Photoshop "Elements" or one of the full versions?

Cheers,

Tom M

PS - Welcome to PSG!

PPS - re your "I mean old" statement, it's better to break down the overall look into the individual aspects of the image (mentioned above) that contribute to the look, not try to discuss everything at once.

Last edited:

pinkolik

Well I'm not good at explaining but I mean that this picture looks vintage or old or something like that. I think it's called vaporwave.

"I use it for lots of my photos, but never for something like this" I guess it's about me. I have Photoshop CC (64 bit) and I believe it's a full version.

P.S. Thank you :3

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi - Sorry that no one has responded to you yet, but let me try to get started.

Specifically, let amplify something I said at the end of my first post: There are so many wildly different effects present in the set of examples that you provided, you absolutely MUST break down what you are seeing into individual effects, work to develop your proficiency with each one, and then you can put them all together in one or more images. Trying to shortcut this process is like trying to run before you can walk, or trying to paint in color without being able to even draw with a pencil.

At the very start of my 1st post, I listed several efx that I saw in that image. Why don't you do the same sort of breakdown for one or two of the other images you posted, and describe what you think are the elemental effects contributing to the overall look. Then, we'll pick one of these and help you gain proficiency in it.

Another way to approach this is to have you post one of your attempts to reproduce one of the above images. We will then critique it and suggest which aspects could be improved.

Cheers,

Tom M

Paul

Former Member
Well I'm not good at explaining but I mean that this picture looks vintage or old or something like that. think it's called vaporwave. I

"I use it for lots of my photos, but never for something like this" I guess it's about me. I have Photoshop CC (64 bit) and I believe it's a full version.

P.S. Thank you :3

No vaporwave is the mixing of music tracks, the art form just followed it onto 4chan forum boards via media artists inventing a new image style retro in essence created by various images overlayed usually using bubblegum pinks and muted powdery colours.

Tom Mann

Guru
Interesting, Paul. Thanks.

Also, from the Wikipedia article on Vaporwave, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporwave

"...Imagery associated with vaporwave includes glitch art, Renaissance sculptures, 90s web design, outmoded computer renderings and classic cyberpunk aesthetics.[SUP][9][/SUP] Use of Japanese characters and other non western writing systems is also prominent. The visual components of works by John Foxx and other electronic musicians from the 1980s are considered influences of the vaporwave aesthetic.[SUP][2]"

[/SUP]Cheers,

T

MikeMc

McGuru
This can be done with Topaz's new plug in.. "Glow"