What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with a drop shadow

Strahan

Hello! I'm new to Photoshop, and I'm having a problem. I used the rounded rectangle tool to make a box to hold some text. When I was done, I thought it'd look nice with a soft drop shadow. I added the effects layer to the box layer and it looked good except for it is emphasizing a light colored border around the box. Is there a tweak I can do in the drop shadow to make it move over that? I tried a negative distance but Photoshop wasn't having that. I figured I could take the eraser or brush and carefully go over the border to remove it, but it sounds like it'll be tedious so I was hoping for a quick tweak to the drop shadow controls will fix it :)

Thanks!

Screenshot of the problem:
lightborder.jpg

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Hi Strahan

It would be helpful if you would post the image and show your layers panel in the screenshot.

MrToM

Guru
Why don't you just remove the 'light coloured border'?

If you are trying to cover it with a dropshadow, which you cannot do BTW, then I don't see a reason to keep it.....or am I missing something?

As ALB68 said, a screen shot of the whole UI would be more helpful....no need for the Styles window again.

Regards.
MrTom.

Strahan

Well, I found if I drop the opacity it goes away. Here is a screen shot showing what I mean.

Prior to doing the drop shadow, I see no border around the rounded rectange:
View attachment 52354

As soon as I add the fx layer, I see the border:
View attachment 52355

I thought maybe making the background layer black would make the slim white border obvious and I could edit it, but when I blackened the background there was no border at all, which is why I was curious as to why it appears there with the drop shadow tool.

Attachments

• border1.png
    border1.png
    81.8 KB · Views: 0
  • border2.png
    border2.png
    119.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Well, I found if I drop the opacity it goes away. Here is a screen shot showing what I mean.

Prior to doing the drop shadow, I see no border around the rounded rectange:
View attachment 52354

As soon as I add the fx layer, I see the border:
View attachment 52355

I thought maybe making the background layer black would make the slim white border obvious and I could edit it, but when I blackened the background there was no border at all, which is why I was curious as to why it appears there with the drop shadow tool.

I tried duplicating your application of the drop shadow and I do not see the white that your pointing out. It may have to do with your screen or video card.
View attachment 52356

Attachments

• drpshadowgr.PNG
    drpshadowgr.PNG
    42.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Strahan

Odd. I'll try linking to my webserver instead:

How it looks when I start - I see no border:
After just adding the fx layer, not doing anything else:

I guess it's really irrelevant at this point, I reduced the opacity of the shadow and it blended in better then. Thanks :)

mod edit: We ask that you upload your images rather than linking to a image hosting site, this helps preserve the integrity of the thread for future viewing because the images are hosted with our server and will not disappear. Images hosted on offsite image hosting websites have a tendency to disappear from our site if or when the members off site image hosting account is closed or they inadvertently move or delete the image.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrToM

Guru
That's the shapes' path.

Click on another layer and it will go...
Select the 'Shape' layer again and it'll return for editing....likewise selecting it from the 'Paths' panel.

Regards.
MrTom.

EDIT:
In CC 2014 the path is hidden as soon as you open the 'Styles' window and returns when you close it.

If you use an earlier version it may explain why this doesn't happen....maybe its the one thing Adobe actually fixed for 2014!

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here is one process for uploading images...........

ImageUploadIcon_02.png