What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to achieve this soft-ish atmosphere in photos

Dango

The 2 pictures I attached kind of has a soft feel to them while still maintaining sharpness in the details. It's kind of hard to explain in words. Does anybody know how this kind of effect can be achieved? My best guess is some kind of color grading, but when I try it on my pictures, they don't look as natural, soft, and I end up losing some details.

IMG_215335919450221.jpeg

IMG_215671331783688.jpeg

Thanks.

Specifically, look for the posts on porcelain / alabaster skin, or try this tutorial:
http://www.webdesign.org/photoshop/...-skin-effect-in-adobe-photshop-cs6.21908.html

I'm pretty sure the artist used a moderate amount of this effect on the subject in the images you cited.

It also looks like the colors of the backgrounds were also slightly modified, albeit separately and with a different technique than what was used on the model. The juxtaposition of the two gives a subliminally surreal look to the whole image.

Tom M

Thank you to both for the replies. I tried the porcelain effect at various degrees, but they don't seem to be what I'm looking for. Instead, the details in my photos start to look washed out, or too flat. If I bring the opacity down, the photo ends up being just as harsh looking as the original.

In addition, especially in the first picture, it seems like there is a subtle glow in the skin...

Last edited:
Why don't u post one of your own images that has been giving u trouble? We'll be happy to have a look at it and see what can be done.

Cheers,

Tom M

Dango, it might also be helpful if you post the psd so we can see what steps you have taken, try them out, and see if there are other approaches, maybe using what you already have with a few tweaks.

Back