What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using replace color w/ B&W images

crutledge

I set all my images to RGB 8 bits.

When I try to change color of black and white images using Adjustments-> Replace Color all I get is shades of grey.

Is there something I have not done are have done incorrectly?

Thanls,
Charlie

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
I set all my images to RGB 8 bits.

When I try to change color of black and white images using Adjustments-> Replace Color all I get is shades of grey.

Is there something I have not done are have done incorrectly?

Thanls,
Charlie
What are you trying to do exactly? Are you wanting to colorize a black and white or grayscale image ?

ALB68

Black and White rgb 8 bit.

That is step 1. To apply color to any image it has to be in the correct mode. You have it in the correct color mode. What happens from there can be pretty involved. It's not a one button procedure to colorize an image. If you will post the image your working on, we will help you. Thanks

crutledge

test.pngThis is a test image that I used. The red and bluis can be changes with no problems but the black and white will only change to shades of grey.

ALB68

You are using Image/Adjustments/Replace Color..right? Here is an article that speaks to your issue. http://planetphotoshop.com/replace-color.html

Seems that this procedure doesn't work with black and white because Photoshop does not recognize black and white as colors. Black or white neither have any hue, which is what that adjustment changes. You can prove this by going to the Adjustment/Hue Saturation command. Move the hue sliders and you will see the colors of blue and red change, but neither the black or white. The only adjustment available for black and white is lightness.

However, there are other ways to do this besides trying to use this command. I would simply select the black or white with the quick selection tool, magic wand or Quickmask, isolate it on a layer (Ctrl/Cmd +J) then you can fill it with a new color, add a color overlay effect, etc. Any number of methods.

Last edited: