What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help With Creating Images

AlunRSR

Hi Everyone,
I am help run a race called RockSolid Race and currently we page someone to make images for us. What I am hoping is to learn some skills so we do not have to get someone else to do as much.

Here are a couple of the images they have done recently

RockSolidRace-MK-Price-Rise-Infographic-[20.01.15].jpg

RockSolidRace-MK-Price-Rise-Mailchimp-[20.01.15].jpg

I am not wanting someone to recreate these images but hopefully for someone to give me some instructions on how to do this myself.

Thank you in advance

Tom Mann

Guru
Probably, the reason that you haven't received any responses is that from your short initial post, we don't have a clue about what aspects of the project are giving you problems (eg, the text, the color, the background texture, the tilted rectangle, etc.). Nor do we have any idea of your skill level. So, how much you already know about Photoshop, e.g., newbie (just installed it and haven't gotten anything to work on it yet), slightly familiar (installed it a couple of weeks ago and have been working through introductory tutorials), used it extensively in the 1990's but haven't touched it for the past 10 years, etc.

In fact, for all we know, there's a good chance that you are not actually using a recent full version of PS, but you are using "Elements", or maybe you are using a real version of PS, but it's very old, or maybe you are using a totally different program like Gimp that does many of the same sort of things, but the commands are all different.

Please provide some info about yourself, the tools you have on hand, and specifically what you have already attempted to make images like this, and you'll almost certainly start getting responses.

Cheers,

Tom M

Last edited:

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Hi AlunRSR,
First, let me ask what version of Photoshop do you have and what would you consider your skill level to be? Beginner ? This is pretty basic stuff here, but you will need a good grasp of how PS works. If you don't have that, a good bit of time could be expended here in helping you "acquire the skills". That statement tells me that you need to learn the basics of PS by studying the program, taking a short course, watching videos etc. To try and acquire these skills requires more than just posting in this forum.

Hoogle

Guru
wahoo my Home Town and neighbour City lol. 1st time seen this here.

as for the pictures look up grunge effect tutorials/ brushes and backgrounds it should all be covered within that.

AlunRSR

Hi guys,
Thank you for your responses, I am using CS6 and would class myself as a beginner, I have used photoshop for a couple of years but have never needed to use it past cropping an image, changing the image levels. I will take a look at grunge effect tutorials and come back to this post in a week or so when I have a better grasp of it all

Tom Mann

Guru
Thanks for the useful info, AlunRSR. Don't hesitate to call on us if you have any specific questions. We'll be glad to help.

Tom M

AlunRSR

Ok something a bit more specific on a different image all together

the following image is a header for Facebook

RockSolidRace-facebook-header-background-27.01.15.jpg

I know how to add font to the image but I am not sure on how to give it a white background, as in has the person created another image and added it as a seperate layer? If so how to do they crop/cut the image so it is the way it is so that the white ends at the end of northampton and then below there isnt a load of white?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
You can do it directly on the image. On a new layer, use the Rectangle selection tool to create a shape selection to serve as the backdrop for your text. Fill white.

After adding and positioning the text above the shape, select the shape layer and with the selection tool, select areas on the shape to delete.

In my image, Layer 1 contains the rectangular shape. I've selected and deleted areas on the left and you'll notice the selection marquee on the right of PSG and just below PHOTOSHOP selected for deletion.

Note... To make the shape backdrop tighter around the text, press CTRL+T (transform tool) and use the handle bars to re-shape the backdrop as you wish.

MK-Sampledv.jpg

Give it a try.......

MrToM

Guru
As a step on from dv8's excellent suggestion here is how to show the background through the white layer where the text is...

1. With reference to dv8's layers panel place all the text and the white background into a folder.
2. With the folder open double click the first text layer....this will open the 'Blending Options' dialog.
3. In the middle you'll see the 'Fill Opacity' slider.....set that to zero.
4. Just under that you'll see the 'Knockout:' dropdown....select 'Shallow'. (This knocks out just 1 layer, Deep knocks out all layers)
5. You should now find the text is 100% transparent and you can see the image through the white layer.
6. Repeat this for the other text layers.....double click, fill opacity, knockout.

If you later want to edit the text you can do so as normal without changing anything in the blending options....just select the 'text' tool, click on the text, and edit as normal.

If you forget, or just ignore, the folder then the knockout will act as 'Deep' and knockout every layer.....you'll need the folder.

Regards.
MrTom.