What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

changing a circles shape?

geoffsmith

Hi
I am new to Photoshop.Only installed the free version 2 days ago. (CS2 Vers9). I expect that I will only need to use it a couple of times a year
For my first project I would like to design some trading cards.
Much like this project on youtube.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM1bMokrnV4

This is the card I want to use for my project (Hope this comes up in the thread). I want it to look like this with a different centre picture and different text under the player. Other wise the same

My question is can I change the shape of a circle to the horseshoe shape.
I would have thought this would be easy to do in Photoshop by some kind of dragging but have spent half a day googling it for answers to no avail.
Thanks if anybody can help

Attachments

• 68 footy card project.jpg
    68 footy card project.jpg
    643.6 KB · Views: 2

MrToM

Guru
Hi geoffsmith,

I'd do this with a shape, no fill and stroked with black.
Unfortunately this is not as straight forward in CS2 as it is in later versions, its not difficult, you just have to use a slightly different method.

CS2 applies 'stroke' to a shape via 'Styles'.
This means you have to have a 'Style' you can apply, there may be one suitable in the defaults but its better to make your own.

In this video I kind of did things backwards.....making the 'Style' after the shape but it doesn't really matter....as long as you have a 'Style' you can use then fine.

I point out at around 2:10 that you need a 'Style' and then go on to create one....you could start watching this from there if you want to create the 'Style' first and have it ready.

One other I'll add is that at around 1:36 when dragging the 'Point' start to drag and then hold down 'Shift'...this will constrain the movement vertically.

Oh, and sorry for the 'hesitant' workflow.....its been a while since I used CS2!

Any questions just ask.

[There is no audio.]
[video=youtube_share;fUeuw93B4OE]http://youtu.be/fUeuw93B4OE[/video]

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

geoffsmith

Wow
thanks for the quick response and especially the video showing me he way.
very involved and will keep me busy as a novice learning it
your help is very much appreciated
good karma your way

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

If you get stuck just ask.

Regards.
MrTom.