What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Filling a shape with a existing picture or pattern

scoot_39

Hi All,
I am new to Photoshop, and I cannot believe how power it is.
My question is how do fill a shape with another picture. If you look at the attach image, I wish to fill the shape to the left of the carbon fibre pattern with the fibre pattern.

Attachments

• help forum.png
    help forum.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 20

WV1989

Hello Scoot - I am also new to photoshop but think I can Help.

First thing you need to do is make sure they are both on different layers, because you need to make a clipping mask.

I did it backwards, so you need to put the "Fibre" over the top of the "shape" - Then right click the shape layer and select "CLIPPING MASK"

clip 1.png

This is the result - there might be other ways to do this also.

clip 2.PNG

Really hope this helps.

Your layer looks flat, so will have to use a selection tool to select the shape, then "create layer from selection".

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi and welcome to PSG. There are many ways to accomplish this type of effect.

One way is by using a Clipping mask.

As long as the shapes are on their own separate layers, you simply add a carbon fiber texture layer and clip it to the shape.

Here is the shape layer.......
Screen Shot 2015-01-30 at 9.00.52 AM.png

Here is the carbon fiber texture layer above the shape layer.....
Screen Shot 2015-01-30 at 9.02.38 AM.png

Here the carbon fiber layer is clipped to the shape layer......
Screen Shot 2015-01-30 at 9.04.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-01-30 at 9.04.38 AM.png

How top clip.......Right click the shape layer and select 'create clipping mask' or hover your cursor between the two layers while holding down the alt/option key, you will see the cursor turn into a box with a black angled arrow pointing down, then click.