What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transition from edge A to edge B

coureph

Hi, I have the following problem: I want to design clothes and have different sewingpieces at my disposal and I want an automized transition from piece A to piece B. I mainly use Illustrator and CS6. For better illustration I have made a graphic: I hope I've depicted my problem comprehensively. Thank you for answering.

Attachments

• photoshopprobelmsewingpieces.jpg
    photoshopprobelmsewingpieces.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 0

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I don't follow.

What is a sewing piece? Like a pattern?

What is a automized transition?

coureph

By sewingpieces I mean pieces of cloth that are sewed together after printing (like the sleeves of a tshirt and the mid part). So I draw a pattern on piece A and I want it to continue on piece B without drawing on the space between them

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I apologize. Still not understanding.

If you have two patterns that you have drawn.
Screen Shot 2015-02-04 at 11.40.14 AM.png

And you don't want to draw on the space between them, then move them together.

Screen Shot 2015-02-04 at 11.42.42 AM.png

Last edited:

coureph

I see what you mean. However oftentimes the pieces of cloth dont match like that - e.g.: In this case the edges that are going to be sewed together have the same lenght but difer in shape:

Attachments

• sleevemid.jpg
    sleevemid.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK, I will throw in the towel here and give up as I'm not certain if we are talking about actual patterns or fabric.........or are we talking about a Photoshop question.

The best thing you can do is to provide an actual example of what your doing in Photoshop or Illustrator.

coureph

I want to draw a pattern that starts on the sleeve and continues on the mid part of a tshirt. However I cant move them together because they difer in shape like illustrated in the 2nd picture. Hope I made myself clear. Edit: the only think I can think of is this: Since both fabric pieces have the same length, I could put a 2 inch mark on each edge (this way I know atleast in this spot the pattern macthes).

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I see what you mean. However oftentimes the pieces of cloth dont match like that - e.g.: In this case the edges that are going to be sewed together have the same lenght but difer in shape:

I think I get what your saying.....

But why not do the design on a complete clothing sample first (say a shirt) which you break down into the separate template pieces?

edit.... I saw your post just now and the edit you made....

That's what I meant.... do the complete design then break it down into parts adding leeway material to the pieces for the stitching work....

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I want to draw a pattern that starts on the sleeve and continues on the mid part of a tshirt. However I cant move them together because they difer in shape like illustrated in the 2nd picture. Hope I made myself clear.

Sorry, I realize your trying, but I don't understand. Please don't get frustrated. The 2nd image does not help.

Try and explain using this graphic.....
Screen Shot 2015-02-04 at 12.22.00 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
dv8 said:
But why not do the design on a complete clothing sample first (say a shirt) which you break down into the separate template pieces?
Exactly!

coureph

I found templates like this to work with- So I thought I will just go with them all the way.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My Mom was a seamstress. I grew up watching her create thousands of articles of clothing............I understand the process.

Patterns are all basically the same in how they are created. They are in seperate templates such as left side, right side, collar, and sleeve. The templates were cut from the pattern. These templates are pinned to the fabric in a nesting manner to utilize the fabric efficiently. The fabric is then cut out around the pinned templates pattern. The templates are only removed at the time that the fabric was to be joined (sewed) with another piece. The two fabric pieces were then pinned together and then sewn together on the machine.

The templates on the patterns are never joined together. So I'm not sure why you would want to do this.

coureph

I see. However is there a way you can think of to do it this way - would definely be cool to know this.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I still don't understand what your wanting to do.............sorry.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
This is just to illustrate what Sam mentioned and how you could do it....

templateuse.jpg

Divide your selected design into 2. take the lower half and position it along the top stitch line of the sleeve template and the other half on the shirt's shoulder.

Take note..... this is just a sample. The shirt's template may be curved like in the sleeve template. In which case you should divide your design to suit the curved "guides "on the template.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
But frankly, what Sam mentioned is correct. A template is positioned over the fabric as guide for which the tailor uses to cut out the desired clothing parts. If the fabric contains the desired design, the template is positioned strategically on the design in order to get the right cuts. The template doesn't have any design whatsoever.

Which is why I said, it's better to create the design over a complete clothing item. And whosoever will manufacture the said clothing item will work out the production process.....