What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the pre-composition equivalent in photoshop?

pTw

In after effects you can place things inside compositions then maneuver within these compositions when you need to and change things and it'll reflect in your main composition. What is the photoshop equivalent? Basically what I'm trying to do is apply effects with an adjustment layer and have it only effect one layer, so I thought maybe if you put them into a group an adjustment layer will only work on the media in the group but I just tried that and the adjustment layer is effecting a layer that's not in the group so it's probably not the way to do it. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Tom Mann

Guru

pTw

Move your cursor to the line between an adjustment layer, and the layer immediately below, hold down "Alt" (on a PC), and click. This creates a clipping mask. Once this is in place, the adjustment layer then will only operate on the layer immediately below, and not layers below that.

Here's a longer explanation:
http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/photoshop-adjustment-layer-clipping-mask-layer-group.html

I hope this is what you were asking.

Cheers,

Tom M

Pretty sure that answers my question, so basically just put them in groups and change the transfer mode of the group to normal instead of pass through. That will basically turn the group into a composition if you will, I'm used to aae speak so I have to put it into terms I can understand. Thank you so much!

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
To add to what Tom already pointed out....

The trick to getting this right is in how you properly choreograph all the layered objects in the layer hierarchy.

Group your object or objects into a set. You may need to add layer masks to mask out any unwanted pixels in the image.

Here's a small section screenshot of a large psd I have. You'll notice the 2 dogs are grouped into a set and that each dog is in a set of its own with the needed adjustment layers applied. Same goes with just about all the objects you see in the image. The pot in the center has 3 sets in the potted plant set comprising the pot, the texture and the round object in the center.

groupSets.jpg

And as Tom pointed out, it's equally important that you clip the adjustment layer to affect ONLY the specific object layer below or layers within the selected set. Other sets with objects and adjustments within the set as well as entire image isn't affected by the adjustment .

groupSets2.jpg