What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Create brush preset with variable hardness

chick

Hello,

I'd like to create a simple brush preset so that the shape is maintained (simple circle) but the hardness can vary, just like the basic brushes that come with PS. When I create a brush preset now and try to use it, the hardness slider doesn't have a slide button. My ultimate purpose is to get rid of the Shape Dynamics check that comes with them.

How do I do this?

Cheers,
Chick

Please post a screenshot of or describe FULLY the brush preset you have made with all the adjustments.

When you create a custom brush, you lose the hardness option. The hardness an be adjusted during the creation of the brush so you may have to create several versions of the same brush with differing hardness's. .

The Shape dynamics option will always appear and you can check it after you have created the brush. You can not get rid of it.

Last edited:
Are you telling me that I can never create a brush that has adjustable hardness?

Are you telling me that I can never create a brush that has adjustable hardness?

I do believe that's what he is telling you. Notice that the only brushes that have hardness adjustability are the OEM default brushes. I have lots of 3rd party brushes and none of them have hardness adjustability. The default brushes are hard coded by PS when the program is written.

Well, I'm stunned at such a gigantic lack of function, but I do appreciate your telling me, because I thought it was just me not figuring out how to do it.

SO, my main problem is that all the default brushes (that do have variable hardness) always have the Shape Dynamics set Checked and the Control set to Pen Pressure. Since I have a tablet, but do NOT want the pressure, I have to turn that off EVERY time I use a different brush and it is a nightmare. Do you know if there is any way to set the Control values to OFF for all brushes as the DEFAULT?

SO, my main problem is that all the default brushes (that do have variable hardness) always have the Shape Dynamics set Checked and the Control set to Pen Pressure. Since I have a tablet, but do NOT want the pressure, I have to turn that off EVERY time I use a different brush and it is a nightmare. Do you know if there is any way to set the Control values to OFF for all brushes as the DEFAULT?

With your Brush Tool selected..............
Screen Shot 2015-02-05 at 11.24.59 PM copy.png

Great! If I only had that button ... :)

I have CS4, which I certainly should have mentioned before. I have only one button, see screenshot and I have never figured out what it does. The tablet/pen seem to work exactly the same with it on or off, so while it looks related, I have no clue.

Is the option you pointed to available somewhere in a submenu or options list that I can find, or make that button you pointed to appear?

Attachments

• CS4 Screenshot.jpg
    CS4 Screenshot.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1
Great! If I only had that button ... :)

I have CS4, which I certainly should have mentioned before. I have only one button, see screenshot and I have never figured out what it does. The tablet/pen seem to work exactly the same with it on or off, so while it looks related, I have no clue.

Is the option you pointed to available somewhere in a submenu or options list that I can find, or make that button you pointed to appear?

The icon is an airbrush option.
Sorry, I don't have CS4. Maybe someone else can help.

OK, so every native brush you select has 'Shape Dynamics' activated?

Does this happen when you unplug the Wacom?

Yes, but that's irrelevant, because I want to use the pen, I just don't want the pressure sensitivity. I've looked for a way to turn it off in the tablet controls, but no joy there either.

Yes, but that's irrelevant, because I want to use the pen, I just don't want the pressure sensitivity. I've looked for a way to turn it off in the tablet controls, but no joy there either.

Actually it IS relevant. I was trying to see if it was the tablet altering the normal behavior of Ps.............obviously it is.

Since I don't have a version of CS4 I can no longer make suggestions other than you might consider upgrading to a more current version of Ps.

Well, sure it is, in the sense that if a tablet is connected, PS recognizes it. But even if I disconnect the tablet now, PS still knows it's somewhere nearby :) I meant irrelevant only in the sense that either answer would not help with the solution. :)

As for upgrading, how much would it cost to upgrade from CS4 to CS6? An arm and a leg, or more? :)

Well, sure it is, in the sense that if a tablet is connected, PS recognizes it. But even if I disconnect the tablet now, PS still knows it's somewhere nearby :) I meant irrelevant only in the sense that either answer would not help with the solution. :)

As for upgrading, how much would it cost to upgrade from CS4 to CS6? An arm and a leg, or more? :)

I case your interested you can join Adobe Creative Cloud and get the latest Photoshop and Lightroom in their Photographers deal for $19.95 a month. Two hundred forty dollars for a year ( about what an upgrade used to cost before the CC). I have the whole package that is $49.95 for all the software they make. Love it!

I case your interested you can join Adobe Creative Cloud and get the latest Photoshop and Lightroom in their Photographers deal for $19.95 a month. Two hundred forty dollars for a year ( about what an upgrade used to cost before the CC). I have the whole package that is $49.95 for all the software they make. Love it!

Now that you bring this up, I have looked at the CC site, and it has so little info that I don't even really understand it. Lots of hype and advertising but little real info. Does this new CC do everything that my CS4 can do, or is it just basic photo touchup and the like? Do I have to be connected to the internet to use it? Where are my files stored, on my computer or somewhere in the "cloud"? Other than the cost (and upgrades) being ongoing instead of a permanent license, how does using CC differ from just buying the latest version and using it on my desktop like I have always done?

Now that you bring this up, I have looked at the CC site, and it has so little info that I don't even really understand it. Lots of hype and advertising but little real info. Does this new CC do everything that my CS4 can do, or is it just basic photo touchup and the like?
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/versions.html

chick said:
Do I have to be connected to the internet to use it?
No. Your Creative Cloud desktop applications are installed directly on your computer, so you won't need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis.

An Internet connection is required the first time you install and license your desktop apps, but you can use the apps in offline mode with a valid software license. The desktop apps will attempt to validate your software licenses every 30 days. For annual members, you can use the apps for up to 99 days in offline mode. Month-to-month members can use the software for up to 30 days in offline mode.

chick said:
Where are my files stored, on my computer or somewhere in the "cloud"?
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/faq.html

chick said:
Other than the cost (and upgrades) being ongoing instead of a permanent license, how does using CC differ from just buying the latest version and using it on my desktop like I have always done?
CC 2014.2 is the latest version. The days of store bought box copies are gone.

I still use CS6 Extended. It is barely supported now. Your needing features that exist on later versions...............find yourself a later version and use it if you don't like the CC version.

Sam about covered it. As he said, Adobe doesn't sell boxed software anymore. Once you make the plunge, you'll never go back. (that is, assuming you really make use of the software).

Thank you all for pointing me to some of the info I've been wondering about. I must be extremely dense about this, because it seems to me that they are charging 10/mo (Photographers option) for Photoshop+Lightbox, and 20/mo for one app, like just Photoshop. Why would anyone want PS for 20 when they could have PS+LB for 10? I feel like I must still be missing something important about these offers.

Back