What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much prettier can I make this picture?

I'm a total Photoshop noob, but I think I may invest the time into learning it if it can do what I'm hoping.

So what I'm wondering is, how difficult would it be to make the following changes to this picture my friend painted for me?

- Stretch/Lower the bottom/tips of their noses (especially the blonde girl's) slightly and I think the redhead's nose is a bit on the big side.
- Change the color of the purple bracer to a dark grey/black - like the top of her shirt
- Make their lips not quite so wide and tone down the redness of the lipstick a bit
- Lower the redhead's lips down slightly
- Make the redhead's hair less orange/brown and more crimson and the blonde's slightly more blonde/less white
- Scoot the redhead's left eye (meaning the one on our right) a bit closer to her nose
- Reduce the bulging top of the redheads head and narrow her goggles so they look like they would fit.
- Basically anything to make them more attractive

Does the fact that this is a painting with texturing make it more difficult? How long would it take a pro to make these changes? How long can I expect to invest in making the changes myself where I currently know oh-so-little about Photoshop? Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Book Cover3.jpg
    Book Cover3.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Paul

Former Member
Hi Sasha.

In answer this can all be done within PS easily, using a mixture of tools mainly warp and clone tools, with some colour and light adjustments.
I am sure someone will be along soon enough, i might even have a go myself after my lunch maybe.

Thanks for the reply Paul- that is fantastic news! Should you decide to have a go at it, I'd be incredibly excited to see what you come up with! :)

Paul

Former Member
Just making my lunch and did this quick animation of the changes you are asking for, all i used was the clone tool and some warping of sections on several layers, isolated the areas for colour adjustment, though for me the original as a drawing was nice enough.

rehair.gif

Nice work! I'm amazed how quickly you guys made those changes.

I think I'll leave this up and let anyone who wants to take more stabs at it and just making them as attractive as possible. Winner gets a special prize! ;)

I love what you've done here. This is getting really close to what I'm looking for. The only thing that is still bugging me is the redhead's face (love what you did to the hair though!). Her face just looks a bit too manly. I think her nose may be too big? Face not heart-shaped enough? I can't put my finger on it, but it needs something....

Last edited:
I'm very sorry Sasha. :rolleyes:

I had a computer crash, and my picture is lost. At the same time it has disappeared from the forum server.
This sometimes happens even to an experienced Photoshop user like me. However I'am very saddened by this unfortunate event.
I now have to fix my computer first, then I have to reinstall the photoshop program again before I can edit requests in the forum.

This will take a few days, so please be patient until somebody else comes along to help you.

Chris.

I'm very sorry Sasha. :rolleyes:

I had a computer crash, and my picture is lost. At the same time it has disappeared from the forum server.
This sometimes happens even to an experienced Photoshop user like me. However I'am very saddened by this unfortunate event.
I now have to fix my computer first, then I have to reinstall the photoshop program again before I can edit requests in the forum.

This will take a few days, so please be patient until somebody else comes along to help you.

Chris.

I'm so sorry! Thats such a bummer! I hope you're able to get it fixed! :/

I'm nearly brand new to photoshop (started yesterday). I've spent about the last 12 hours watching tutorials and practicing with this picture, but their eyes are giving me the toughest time! I think the shapes and angles are off, and the lighting? I dont know, they look like they are dazed or something, when I want them to have piercing eyes. Anyone have any tips and/or wanna take a stab at it?

Here is the before and after of what i've done so far:

Attachments

• Book Cover3.jpg
    Book Cover3.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • needs eyes fixed.jpg
    needs eyes fixed.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 2

colleague

Guru
Re: Eyes are tough. Any Eye pro's out there?

I would sharpen the eyes with unsharp mask
lighten up some parts by drawing with a white brush on a new layer with blendingmode "soft light"
add some color by drawing with an orange brush on a new layer with blendingmode "color"
and end with a little dodge and burn

Attachments

• eyes.gif
    eyes.gif
    315 KB · Views: 5
Re: Eyes are tough. Any Eye pro's out there?

I would sharpen the eyes with unsharp mask
lighten up some parts by drawing with a white brush on a new layer with blendingmode "soft light"
add some color by drawing with an orange brush on a new layer with blendingmode "color"
and end with a little dodge and burn

I like what you've done, and maybe I should have specified, but the top picture was the before picture. :S