What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oprawindfury

Hey again!

I stumbled on this pattern on the wide web. This should be doable in both Ai and PS.

10346058_765668506846681_7820479613450054889_n.jpg

I'm using CS5 and will not be able to use the new pattern feature in cs6.

Any suggestions on how to do this?

cheers!

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
It's getting there but I'm not quite satisfied with it as it turned out a bit jagged.....

WaveTry.jpg

I'll get back to this later as I have to go out for a bit.... it's a work day for me.

But here's something you can play with on how I did it....

Create vertical stripes image. Use the WAVE filter to create the wavy lines. I don't remember the exact settings but they were at minimum in order to get the the right amount of wave curves.....

On a new layer, add the hilight using a wide, soft brush. lower layer opacity and set to overlay. Duplicate and move to were needed along the curves.

Group all layers and rotate the image to the look you like......

Hope this starts you off with something. See you later....

PS.... done in PS7... LOL.... You won't have trouble doing it in CS5, I assure you.

Tom Mann

Guru
I took a very simple-minded, direct approach (using PS) ...

1. Using the pen tool, make one wavy line:

1-one_white_line.jpg

2. Use Photoshop's "step-and-repeat" feature (Google it) to make many closely spaced copies of the previous line, each displaced vertically from the last:

2-before_rotation.jpg

3. To brighten the down-slopes, make very soft rectangular selections of the downslopes:

3-make_soft_rectangular_selections_on_downslope.jpg

4. Using a "Levels" adjustment layer, darken everything except the down-slopes:

4-darken_everything_xcept_the_downslopes.jpg

5. Rotate so that the downslopes become almost horizontal:

5-after_rotation.jpg

6. Crop and resized down to 700 px wide for display on this forum:

6-wavey_parallel_lines-ps02b_rotate_and_crop-698px_wide-01.jpg

HTH,

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
...and a tiny bit of randomization gives it a more organic feel and breaks up the tendency to Moire effect in very regular patterns like this. I happened to use an almost imperceptible amount of the "waves" filter, but lots of other filters, or even a bit of brush work on the bright areas helps out, e.g.,

wavey_parallel_lines-ps02c_rotate_and_crop_wave-698px_wide-01.jpg

Obviously, one can adjust the line width, as well as the amplitude and wavelength of the undulations in the starting wavy line, the spacing of the copies, the amount and areas to be darkened, the angle of rotation, etc. etc. As they say, "season to taste".

:)

Tom M

Last edited:

Oprawindfury

Thanks a lot guys!

Ima try this out and post result! :) But I didn't really don't get the "soft rectangular selections"? Is that when you control the feather?!

Tom Mann

Guru
...But I didn't really don't get the "soft rectangular selections"? Is that when you control the feather?!
Exactly. This is because I thought a smooth transition would look better than it being sharp. I think I feathered it by around 150 or 200 px. This is why the corners of the selection marching-ants indicator are rounded, not sharp right angles. Like with anything in this, at they say, "season to taste", LOL.

Tom M