What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you make a button pin in photoshop or indesign?

I am majoring in graphic design and one project is for us to design a button/pin in either photoshop or indesign.
The instructions say that "The size of the button is 2.5" round for the pin-back. Bleed area is the extra background that will wrap around to the back of the button and into the crimp. You must have an extra .25" of background color or image all the way around your design."

The workspace must be 300 dpi and saved to at least 300 dpi. The artwork should be .25" bleed and finished round artwork will be 2.75".

I really do not know how to set everything up on either photoshop and InDesign. Can someone please tell me how I can do this?

MrToM

Guru
Set up your document like this:

3x3x300_A_01.jpg

(I'm not sure where the 2.75" came from so adjust if needed...I used 2.5 + 2*0.25 = 3.0...???)

Then place guides all around the document and also central.
With the 'Elipse' marquee tool and 'snaps' turned on, place your cursor on the very center of the document.
Click and drag out halfway across the document.....then hold down 'Alt' (to draw from center), and then also 'Shift' (Constrain to circle)...continue to drag to the edge of the document where it should snap to the guide.

Fill that with whatever colour your 'bleed' area needs to be....(Could be anything really).

Repeat the above but this time have your 'Info' panel open and drag out a circle 750px wide.....this is the button circle. (750px = 2.5" dia @300ppi)

You should have something like this:

3x3x300_button_A_01.jpg

On a new layer fill that with White (Or whatever bg colour you want).

Do your artwork on layers above these two, keeping your main artwork within the smaller circle but encroaching into the outer circle for the bleed.

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:
thanks, but how do I place guides?
Set up your document like this:

View attachment 53280

(I'm not sure where the 2.75" came from so adjust if needed...I used 2.5 + 2*0.25 = 3.0...???)

Then place guides all around the document and also central.
With the 'Elipse' marquee tool and 'snaps' turned on, place your cursor on the very center of the document.
Click and drag out halfway across the document.....then hold down 'Alt' (to draw from center), and then also 'Shift' (Constrain to circle)...continue to drag to the edge of the document where it should snap to the guide.

Fill that with whatever colour your 'bleed' area needs to be....(Could be anything really).

Repeat the above but this time have your 'Info' panel open and drag out a circle 750px wide.....this is the button circle. (750px = 2.5" dia @300ppi)

You should have something like this:

View attachment 53281

On a new layer fill that with White (Or whatever bg colour you want).

Do your artwork on layers above these two, keeping your main artwork within the smaller circle but encroaching into the outer circle for the bleed.

Regards.
MrTom.

MrToM

Guru
Drag them out from the rulers or use VIEW > NEW GUIDE

Regards.
MrTom.

MrToM

Guru
Well thats OK....it fits perfectly...

3x3x300_doc_A_02.png

All you need now is the bleed area around it.....which you can do by following what I said before but make the circle 900px wide.

Then use IMAGE > CROP to remove the excess from around the edge.

As you have the original PSD file you should be able to just 'bleed' your artwork into the 'bleed' area.
If you've not got any more artwork outside that main circle then you'll just have to clone it or whatever so that it encroaches into that area.......you could even use the 'smudge' tool.

You should also do this on a duplicate layer UNDER the main one......you don't want to change anything in that.

You'll then have a 900x900px image which when printed @ 300ppi will be 3" square.
2.5" of that will be your main image and the other 0.25" 'border' will be the bleed area.

I think you underestimate your abilities.

Regards.
MrTom.

EDIT: 900px wide.....not 300px

Last edited:
Where do I place the guides? What are the specific measurements? They just come off as straight lines. How do I make the circle 900px wide? I tried making the circle in the way that you said it, but couldn't. I simply used the eclispe tool. I still don't know how to make the circle within it/the bleed area.
Well thats OK....it fits perfectly...

View attachment 53283

All you need now is the bleed area around it.....which you can do by following what I said before but make the circle 900px wide.

Then use IMAGE > CROP to remove the excess from around the edge.

As you have the original PSD file you should be able to just 'bleed' your artwork into the 'bleed' area.
If you've not got any more artwork outside that main circle then you'll just have to clone it or whatever so that it encroaches into that area.......you could even use the 'smudge' tool.

You should also do this on a duplicate layer UNDER the main one......you don't want to change anything in that.

You'll then have a 900x900px image which when printed @ 300ppi will be 3" square.
2.5" of that will be your main image and the other 0.25" 'border' will be the bleed area.

I think you underestimate your abilities.

Regards.
MrTom.

EDIT: 900px wide.....not 300px

MrToM

Guru
...Where do I place the guides?...
In the center of your artwork....the middle of the circle.

...What are the specific measurements?...
For what?

...They just come off as straight lines. How do I make the circle 900px wide?...
Drag it out until its 900px wide.

...I tried making the circle in the way that you said it, but couldn't. I simply used the eclispe tool. I still don't know how to make the circle within it/the bleed area...

I've explained how previously so please also refer to that as well as the following:

Without knowing the details of your document I can only offer 'generic' suggestions.

1. You need to place guides at the center of your artwork....that means both horizontally and vertically.
2. You then need to drag out a marquee using the 'elliptical marquee' tool.....

A. Click on the intersection point of the two guides, (where they cross), and start to drag out an ellipse.
B. At the same time hold down 'ALT'.....this will re-position the ellipse to be drawn 'from the center'...where you first clicked.
C. Also hold down 'SHIFT' to constrain the marquee to a circle.
D. Watch the INFO panel as you continue to drag until the WIDTH = 900px.

3. Create a layer UNDER your artwork.
4. Fill the marquee on this new layer with a bleed background colour....usually white.

If you cannot drag out a circle accurately enough then set up another guide 450px away from the center.....then drag out to it.
just make sure 'Snap' is turned on and 'Snap To' is at least set to 'guides'....otherwise all the above is pretty pointless.

Regards.
MrTom.