What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop Composition: Tips on how to fix my images?

trial.jpg

Okay, so this is my image so far. I am not sure what to do next. I want to edit the image so that it doesn't look like I just pasted the two images on that beach background. What are tips you can suggest? I see harsh lines around the girl and pixels around the top of the house. I also see the ground of the house doesn't blend in well with the sand. The colors aren't matching either. I plan to add something scary in the background and maybe some lighting bolts, but then I think I would have to change the girl with someone who is wearing a sweater? Anyways, how do you suggest I edit this? I've googled and watched some tutorials, but I can't find the right thing to help me.

Very good Melissa, you analyzed your own image already. This is a very important part to improve your own work.

At this stage your image looks more like a collage than a believable composite. You have to learn about "blending".
By blending one understands the gentle transitions from one image part to another, and color adjustments, (disaturation) of the different image parts.
The best results are achieved when you paint on the layer mask with a small soft brush with low opacity.
Lighting bolts are a good idea to further improve the eery atmosphere.
Finally I would remove the man working on the balcony.

Here is my example as your picture might look like.
I look forward to see your update.

trial_chrisdesign.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
The other problem that gets in the way of many composites is selecting component images which have similar lighting, ie, direction, color temperature, and hardness of the light.

For example, in your composite, the light on the building is hard cold light, and it is coming from in back of the camera and far to the left.

However, the light on the girl is softer, much much warmer, and coming from the right of the camera at maybe 45 degrees to her face.

Neither of above are in agreement with what normally be the main lighting source in such a photo, the sky. It seems to be brightest directly in back of both the building and the girl, so they would normally be in deeper shadow.

If you start with component images whose lighting doesn't match, it's very hard to recover from this, even if you are extremely good and spend a lot of time in PS trying to fix the problem.

Just my $0.02,

Tom M